Saturday 27 December 2014

Roast chicken, snow and yet another tradition!








27 December

That’s it then; it’s all over for another year. That tickly cough I had went on to become a full dose of flu, and I’m still not fully over it. On the 23rd I made the comment about things becoming a tradition, well, I think I’ve set another by having flu/head cold over the Christmas New year period. I hope it doesn’t happen again next year.

Our Christmas chicken is sat in the fridge waiting to be sorted out. I did at least manage to get it cooked on the 25th but that’s as far as we got. Now I need to get it portioned up and back in the freezer until we are ready for it. We were expecting our son Tom over for dinner but he has unexpectedly now been able to come over. We’re pleased that we decided that we would have the large chicken we had in the freezer and not go out and buy something different.

Have you seen the news again today? We’ve had a couple of inches of snow and parts of the country have come to stand still yet again. What is it with us Brits that we can’t manage to do anything when theirs a light dusting of snow? I took some rubbish out to the bin last night and saw it was snowing, ten minutes later it was raining. This morning there’s no sign of any snow. How we would manage in Canada at this time of year I just don’t know.

The issue of bone marrow donations has come up again after a young Asian boy is getting over leukaemia after getting a donation for another Asian person. The push by the boy’s parents have increased the number of Asian donors by ‘tenfold’, according to the BBC. There is a national shortage of such donors right now, no matter what background is involved. But did you know that there is an upper age limit for such donors? No? Well, there is and it’s set at 30 years of age.

Jan and I once tried to give blood but we were both turned down, Jan because she had once had jaundice as a child and me, because I was beta-blockers at the time. This seems odd to me considering what happened in two recent case of kidney transplants where the donors had a serious underline condition. We were both interested in being checked for suitability for bone marrow donation when a friend of ours had leukaemia, and yes, we were turned down because of our age, and also in my case because of my cardiac and diabetes problems. So some note is taken then of donors health.

Seeing its Saturday, it’s history day and today we look back to 1832 and HMS Beagle leaving Plymouth for its voyage of discovery. On board was Charles Darwin who learned enough to on the voyage to come up with his divisive theory of evolution, a theory that is still as divisive today as when it was first published. A lot of sensitive toes were trodden on at the time, along with a more than a few rice bowls over turned!

Today’s photo … 

A Spanish fire hydrant

Today’s funny …


speak1

No comments:

Post a Comment