Tuesday 2 December 2014

Photo mags, eBooks v real books and lots of books



2 December

Every Saturday morning my subscription copy of Amateur Photographer arrives and I’m itching to get started and read it; usually that is. This week it didn’t arrive until this morning. I’m lucky in that my entry form for the free Leica was sent off over a week ago. We have cut back on all our mag-subs just lately and AP and N-Photo are the only two we now have. So far they are all that I think that we need. So what of all the others our there?

There’s a lot of them folks; Out Door Photography, Digital Camera, Digital Photo, Digital SLR Photography … … … and a lot more besides. Over a month I would buy most of them and then I found that they were all covering them same subject areas at the same time, but from different viewpoints and by different writers. I came to realise that I was actually wasting a heck of a lot of dosh on them. So I cut back on them; instead I now visit a market stall on Saturday that sells back copies for £1 each and see what photo-mags he has on offer. I also get the odd birding mag there too.

Another issue with all these magazines is storage if you want to keep them all. Here in our one bed roomed flat, we just don’t have the storage space for them all. It’s getting that way with all my books as well. Jan has moved on from books and now reads on her kindle only, while I do both eBooks and real books. At the moment my books are in three different locations within the flat and I’m trying to get them all together in one place. We even bought some shelving so I could have them on the bedroom wall. That was months ago, and they still haven’t been put up yet. We will get round to it eventually, honestly, we will … … …

Facebook has a lot of groups relating to and for writers and readers, most are fine but some of them are bit iffy, if you know what I mean. The latest one I’ve found is … https://www.facebook.com/ForReadingAddicts?fref=nf and this one pretty good. Why not give it a go folks.

I’ve just been out to my car to fetch three shelves ready for when we get started on them; these ones a lot
longer than the first one we bought. And it’s bloomin’ freezing out there! So here’s a reminder of summer was like …

The beach and pier at Bournemouth.

And today’s funny …

A Sales Associate at Walmart, notices a man in the card section. When she walks by an hour later and sees him still there she walks over to see if she can help. “Can I help you?” she asks. “Well I don’t know” the man responds “I’m having a problem, I can’t find anything that my wife would believe!”

No comments:

Post a Comment