Saturday 20 December 2014

Plans changed, a photo-mag and sorted out



20 December

The plan for today was to go into town on our scooters for a couple of hours snapping photos of the crowds and then this evening to walk down to the Anker for a couple of hours. Well, it came to both of us at the same time that if we went into town now, we wouldn’t feel like going down the Anker later on. So we are stopping in right now and hopefully we shall go to do the crowd snapping on Wednesday instead.

At long last I have read on Facebook from a mainstream magazine that reads ‘Having said all that, equipment matters more than some would have you believe…’ This comment can be found here … http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2014/12/20/youve-just-started-photography-16-universal-truths/ and is part of a larger article about truths in photography. All too often we read that having a lot of kit doesn’t make you a good photographer, I’ve even said myself. And yet there are times when the right kit is essential. Try a close up of a hungry lion in the African Bush using only an iPhone! Digital Camera is a good photomag and I’m considering taking out a subscription for it. I already have its sister mag N-Photo on subscription. Anyway …     

At long last I have sat and sorted out my ‘unsorted’ photo folder, and guess what? Once I got to end of it I realised there was an easier way of doing it. The way I work is this … copy RAW images into an Originals folder; then I open Elements 12 and do what needs to be done with the images; as I finish each one I save them to a Not Posted folder where they remain until I have a new set to work on; then I copy them over to a Not Sorted folder. From there I move them to the various subject folders for keeping. It sounds long winded but it works for me. The biggest down fall is that I keep forgetting to sort them out from the NS folder. I must have moved several hundred yesterday afternoon. The easier way I realised was to just copy then into the main Photos folder and move them to the subject folder from there … DEEEERRRRRR

As you are all well aware I’m sure, it’s the 100th anniversary of the start of WWI. One of the worst events of that war happened in Gallipoli. It was on this day in 1915 that Australian, New Zealand and British troops were evacuated off the beaches there. If you like fish and chips as much as I do, then you might be interested in knowing that it was on this day in 1928 that Harry Ramsden opened his chippy.

Today’s photo … 


A Centaur in metal.

Today’s funny …
A solicitor for the Red Cross called upon a well-to-do young couple for a donation. Hearing a commotion inside he knocked extra-loudly on the door. A somewhat disheveled man admitted him in. “What can I do for you?” he growled, clearly upset about something. “I would like to speak to the master of the house,” said the solicitor politely. “Then you’re just in time,” barked the young man. “My wife and I are settling that very question right now!”

No comments:

Post a Comment