Monday 1 December 2014

A poorly toe, something new and books, books, books and more books

1 December

OUCH! You sod, that hurts! So what hurts? My right little toe, that’s what. A couple of months ago I managed to kick a caster on my bed, and that hurt too. The toe nail blackened just as I expected, and I do mean blackened and it hasn’t cleared up yet.  Anyway, I woke up this morning and the pain in that toe was horrendous and looked rather red and sore. So I phoned the GP and got an appointment because of it. The concern is that being a diabetic I didn’t want to hang about if there was an infection in there. By the time I got the doctors the pain had eased and the redness had nearly gone. So, there’s no infection there but I have to keep an eye on it just in case. But he expects it to grow out over the next few months and drop off leaving a new nail in its place. That’s a relief.

Did you see Antiques Roadshow last night? One of the presenters dropped a bit of booboo. To one person he said, ‘This was brand new when it was first made.’ Say what? Have a re-read of it and think about it. Can you image something being second hand when it was first made? No, nor me. And remember, these guys are paid for making such comments!

I am slowly getting through Vol 1 of Lord of the Rings, and I do mean slowly. In just over two hours last night I managed to read just 22 pages of it, arriving at the end of the Elrond Council. Poor old Frodo has to make his way now to Mordor. I’m not sure if having watched the DVDs a few times whether it has helped or hindered me. Whatever, I’m enjoying reading the book. I wonder what I will read next?

This is not a redundant questions folks. There was a question on one the FB groups I read that went something like, ‘It you could do it, which book would you un-read so you can read again fresh?’ Hmmm … daft question really. Years ago I read The Hobbit. But when the ‘Rings’ DVDs came out I thought I’d give it another go. My thoughts at that time were along the lines, What did I see in this crap in the 70s? That’s another eight quid down the drain. It was in the next bag of books making its way to the charity shop. Then we watched the first DVD and I went out and bought Bilbo’s books again … and loved it!

How does this fit in with the question I asked above then? My initial thought on reading it was, Life’s too short for doing that. But thinking about it some more, I do read books a second time, and each time I find something that I had forgotten before. I sat and watched that BBC2 show about Sci-fi and it’s role in our lives and the name John Wyndham was mentioned and his book, The Midwitch Cuckoos. That’s another one I read years ago and now I’m tempted to buy it again. We’ll see.

Yesterday I suggested I had a better photo of Sally-pup, the golden bitzer, so here you are then … 

Sally having fun in the sea at Barmouth, in Wales.

And today’s funny …

 “Ok everyone,” said the the instructor at the birthing class trying to get everyone’s attention. “We are going to do an exercise now, that’s purpose is to help the men sympathize with their partners.” “We have here what’s called a pregnancy suit,” said the woman instructor, holding up an artificial stomach with a strap. “This imitates the feeling of being pregnant.” Which Husband volunteers to be the first one to try it on?” “I will” said one man, taking the suit and trying it on. “This isn’t too bad said the man walking around. I think I could get used to this.” “Ok”, said the instructor smiling, “now I would like you to bend down and pick up my pen from the floor.” “You want me to pick it up?” he said hesitantly, “just as I would if I was pregnant?” “Yes!” said the instructor. “Honey,” said the man turning to his spouse “do you mind picking up that pen for me?”

1 comment: