Wednesday 31 December 2014

Birds, listing and being grateful



31 December

We are at it again folks; making plans to go out. This it’s for Saturday and we are planning to take Kile out for a day’s birding and photo taking. We’ve settle on the London Wetland Centre and then to Richmond Park for the deer. We shall get our 2015 year list off to a decent start from the day. Actually, we will start it tomorrow with the birds out in the garden. One of the Yahoo groups I subscribe to was doing well on posting of bird reports but it tailed off later in the year. The admin is appealing for more support in 2015. I can’t grumble since I hardly posted anything last year at all.

This listing game that we birders play, can get out of hand if we’re not careful. We only keep a life and year list; that’s a yearly list of what we see and what we have seen since we began birding a long time ago. Another list is a ‘patch’ list; that’s a list of a small area around where you live. I don’t bother with that one unless you count our garden birds, which in itself can become a list all of its own.

However, I have met birders who go on to make lists of all kinds. One guy I met was keeps a county list. I met him when he came to see the cattle egret Dorktown was graced with one. The reason? He hadn’t seen one in Warwickshire before; then he was off to somewhere in Staffordshire for a med gull, for the same reason.

Other lists I’ve heard about our birds seen on telly, sub-divided into fictional and wildlife. Birds on cinema films. I wouldn’t spend that much dosh to go to movies to look for birds! Then of course there is all the content on the internet, Birdforum, and that Yahoo group are the two I read regularly.

So from this little ‘list’ perhaps you can see just out of hand the whole thing can get. For me though, the birding is only part of the fun. The main thing for me is being out and about with Jan, and sometimes with Kile, in the fresh air. The photo opps is just as big a draw as the birds themselves. I suppose my biggest regret is that I can’t walk so well and no way near as far as I would wish. We miss a lot of photos because of that.

Here’s another bird photo for you … 



A grey heron and a little egret in the same shot at Slimbridge.

And today’s funny …

“Oh no! not leftovers again!” complained my older sister when she saw the leftover meatloaf on the table from last nights supper. “Young lady” responded my father sternly, “do you know how many people would love to have a delicious supper like this?! You should be ashamed of yourself! Now before we start eating I want to hear you say grace thanking the Lord for this delicious meal!” “Thank you Lord for this delicious supper”, muttered my sister submissively “….again!”

No comments:

Post a Comment