Thursday 18 December 2014

Hit and run, shopping and power cuts



18 December

Did any of you watch that Hit &Run programme last night? I thought it might be a good one so I set it up recording to watch this morning; and I’m pleased I did. I think most us are aware of the devastation these things cause to the survivors and families of victims. What I hadn’t realised was just how deeply they were affected by it. I’m pleased that the programme was shown, simply because of showing the efforts that some police forces are making to find the drivers of the vehicles involved. If it helps to cut down the number of such incidents then it has to be good.

Another show we have been enjoying is Oxford Street, even if they are free ads for the stores on there. Again, we sat and watched one of these this morning and it showed the electricity sub-station used to get the power up to the whole street. It was claimed that the location of this place was a closely kept secret. Oh yes? Then why did they show the half-circle pavement level windows? And why did they then say later that it was house in a fine Edwardian building? Anyone who is interested could easily track the building down from those two clues I’m sure. Clever these telly folks aren’t they?

A couple of days ago I mentioned that we a power problem in this area of Dorktown. Well, in the last few minutes we’ve another two. What is happening is that the power goes off and then comes back on in less that second, it’s that fast. But even those short breaks can be catastrophic for some people. We have been fine when they happened, but there are others who could have real serious problems because of it. I’m thinking of people with medical problems where they are reliant on machines; GP and dentists if they are hit could have real problems. And hang on … no, we’re fine. Our shower is supposed to be on all the time. If we were to turn in off and the mains, then the council would have to call out and engineer to restart it. See what I mean about the effects?

So then, a picture for today … 

Of yes, one of minimalist shots, this time of power lines in the Lee Valley area of Essex.

And funny time …

“So Grandpa” asked Dave at his engagement party “your marriage to Grandma is legendary everyone talks about how you two get along so well and never fight, what’s the secret to your marital success?” “Well” said Grandpa Joe after taking a deep puff on his cigar “it all started on the way home from our wedding, we hadn’t gone but a mile when the horse started giving us trouble I gave the horse a little whip and that’s when I heard your Grandma say in a low voice “that’s strike one.” A bit later the horse stopped again “that’s strike two” she said. The third time it stopped she grabbed my shotgun out of my holster and shot it in the head. I was in shock! “What in the world was that all about?” I had protested at the time. “That’s strike one!” she said back to me. “And that is what I owe our marital success to.”

No comments:

Post a Comment