Sunday 7 July 2013

Hard viewing, war and a lie-in



7 July 2013

That was hard viewing!  We have just watched the second of the Imagine series of programmes on well know photographers.  This show was on Don McCullin, a so-called war photographer, a name he hated but really that was all he shot during his career.  War is a terrible thing, I'm sure I don't have to say here seeing as most of my readers if not all of you, would agree.  But the images in that show really told the truth of just how bad war can be.  I spent 12 years in the army and even with two tours in Northern Ireland I never actually saw any action so I was pretty much isolated by it all. 

However, not long after leaving the army I began to understand the ethics of it all.  Let's face it, guns are made for just one thing, to kill life in all its forms.  The pro-gun lobby will say that there is no life in danger when shooting at paper targets.  Maybe, but the same weapons they use will, in the hands of someone else can and do kill.  That is the uncomfortable truth about guns.

Having said that I do understand that we as a nation need to have an army, for defence if nothing else.  That is why I support of current service personnel on active duty in Afghanistan.  I'm not sure they should be there in the place but while they are there, I will support them!

Today was meant to be an early start so we could make our way up to north Wales for a photo shoot.  We are both looking for photos to enter into the Countryfile competition.  We could of course get some locally here and around Dorktown but we're usually up for a run out anyway and don't need a reason to do so.  But I was up early on Friday morning and again yesterday.  Today would have been another early start and tomorrow I will need to be up early again for when the doctor calls me.  So today we had a lay-in.  The trip to Wales will happen in the week now when hopefully it will be quieter with less brats running around and getting in the way!   

Today's photo is one from yesterday ... 

it's the new landlord of the Anchor.  He had just cleaned the Carling line and put on a new barrel and he was pulling it off ready for sale.  He's quite a nice chap really, very friendly and he has the knack of remembering what we regulars drink.  Not for only 6 weeks in there.

And for today's funny ...

THE WEDDING TEST
I was a very happy man.    My wonderful girlfriend and I had been dating for over a year, and so we
decided to get married. There was only one little thing bothering me...It was her beautiful younger sister.
My prospective sister-in-law was twenty-two, wore very tight miniskirts, and generally was bra-less. She would regularly bend down when she was near me, and I always got more than a nice view. It had to be deliberate. Because she never did it when she was near anyone else.
One day her 'little' sister called and asked me to come over to check the wedding invitations. She was
alone when I arrived, and she whispered to me that she had feelings and desires for me that she couldn't overcome. She told me that she wanted me just once before I got married and committed my life to her sister.
Well, I was in total shock, and couldn't say a word. She said, 'I'm going upstairs to my bedroom, and if you want one last wild fling, just come up and get me.'
I was stunned and frozen in shock as I watched her go up the stairs. I stood there for a moment, then turned and made a beeline straight to the front door. I opened the door, and headed straight towards my car. Lo and behold, my entire future family was standing outside, all clapping!
With tears in his eyes, my father-in-law hugged me and said, 'We are very happy that you have passed our little test. We couldn't ask for a better man for our daughter. Welcome to the family.'

And the moral of this story is:   Always keep your condoms in your car.

No comments:

Post a Comment