Saturday 27 July 2013

Driving, criminals and a lesson to learn



27 July 2013

How does society even begin to deal with persistent offenders?  I ask this not as an idle or idealistic question but as one that really needs to be answered!  Today's local Telegraph carries the front page story of a man who crashed a stolen van into the rear of a car park in its owners drive.  The car was hit with such force it was pushed forward into the bay window of the house causing £12K worth of damage to the house as well as writing off both vehicles.  The van driver was drunk, not just a little bit drunk but almost five times over the legal limit.  Now, here's the thing ...

The driver has been stopped five times in the last five years for DUI offences over the last 12 years.  This time he has been jailed for 18 months; that's OK of course but it doesn't actually deter him from just carrying on where he left off before his latest offence.  In this case there seems to be two separate areas that need dealing with; the man's obvious drink problem and then his history of motoring offences.  I can't see how society can deal with his drinking.  He first of all has to admit he has a problem but so many alcoholics don't see they have a problem.  I have a 'for instance' here that I overheard in a pub some time ago where a man claimed he was alcohol dependant but wasn't an alcoholic.  I must be missing something it seems, but it does show the sort of thing I'm speaking of.  Let's now look at the motoring side of the problem.

I am sure that the technology is available right now to stop ALL vehicle thefts!  How?  Well, your driving licence is used as a smart card.  By that I mean that it is fitted with chip that can be programmed to only work with your own vehicle.  "So what happens if there are more than one vehicle in a family/company?" I hear being shouted from the rear.  Simple, the smart licence can be programmed for each vehicle.  In each vehicle that is a card reader with recognises the smart card and it then allows the vehicle to be started - now smart card - now start! 

You know, I can hear the insurance companies complaining loud and long even now over this - and this is only my thoughts.  And then of course the civil liberty groups will shout as well.  This is not a new idea I've had you know.  Oh no, I've had this idea for some time now and I once mentioned it to a copper and he said it wouldn't work cos the offenders would find a way around it.  But surely that can't be a valid argument for not trying?   With all these people saying No," at any new idea, no wonder the criminals get away with so much.              

Yes, this does actually on look at driving and vehicle related offences.  This is not the only area where persistent offending happens.  Burglary is another one.  There has been countless time I have read that an area had been subjected to a one man crime wave.  Once he has been arrested and sent down the whole area goes quiet.  In that instance jail has worked and people can live in peace and quiet.  Maybe the idea is to build more prisons and keep these persistent offenders in jail for longer.  I'm a fan of the 'three strikes' scheme at work in the States.  Why not try it out here?  Ah yes, of course ... Europe might not like it but shyster lawyers here would love it when they see a chance of earning even more dosh for appeals to the ECHR! 

Enough of my wittering for today ... Also in the local rag is On This Day column.  So on this day in 1694 the government of the day set up the Bank of England in London.  I'm sure we have all heard that little institution - although it's not really so little now is it and has some influence in all our everyday affairs.

And so to a photo ... 


one of my shots from halfway up the Horseshoe Pass just outside Llangollen.  We learned something with these shots too.  Using our 10-24mm wide angle lens with the ND filter in front, we both found we have significant vignetteing in our images.  I have since found that I bought the wrong sort of filter system.  The one we have is OK for our 18-70mm lens but our 10-24mm we need a X-Pro system which is wider than our current P-Type.  Ah well, we all live and learn!

The Sage has spoken ...
Fred and Mary got married but couldn't afford a honeymoon, so they went back to Fred's Mom and Dad's house for their first night together.
In the morning, Johnny, Fred's little brother, got up and had his breakfast.
As he is going out of the door to go to school, he asks his mom if Fred and Mary are up yet.
She replies, 'No'.
Johnny asks, 'Do you know what I think?'
His mom replies, 'I don't want to hear what you think! Just go to school.'
Johnny comes home for lunch and asks his mom, 'Are Fred and Mary up yet?'
She replies, 'No.'
Johnny says, 'Do you know what I think?'
His mom replies, 'Never mind what you think!  Eat your lunch and go back to school '
After school, Johnny comes home and asks again, 'Are Fred and Mary up yet?'
His mom says, 'No.'
He asks, 'Do you know what I think?'
His mom replies, 'Ok, now tell me what you think?'
He says: 'Last night Fred came to my room to borrow the Vaseline, and I think..I gave him my super glue. !!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment