Tuesday 19 March 2013



19 March 2013

A slow day today; nothing going on so it's a case of sitting watching telly.  I think I might get on with the new Fred Cooper novel later though.  Might as well as do something rather than doing nowt I suppose. 

The other day I came a link to this website https://ed.grammarly.com/register/signup/report_pale/?newv=1  It's a grammar/punctuation checker.  When I first tried it I copied the first paragraph of the new Fred Cooper to it and it found 16 errors.  Just now I have copied the top paragraph here to try it again: 42 words with 10 errors.  Here is the list ...
Contextual Spelling Check
2 issues
  • Commonly confused words (2)
  • Spelling
  • Ignored words
Grammar
2 issues
  • Other (2)
  • Use of articles
  • Use of conjunctions
Punctuation
2 issues
  • Punctuation within a sentence (2)
  • Closing punctuation
  • Formal punctuation
Style and Word Choice
4 issues
  • Writing style (4)
  • Vocabulary use
To find out where and what the errors are you have to sign up for a week's free trial.  I don't think I shall be bothering though.  I write here in this blog pretty much as I speak; so what?  The 4 style and word choice errors is very subjective and therefore can be ignore to my mind.  It also includes a report on plagiarism but hasn't found anything there.  Why should it, I've only just typed it!  Anyway, after using Word 2007 for the last 6 years I have just found a spelling and grammar check in there under the review menu.  I'll be using that now that I have found it.

Jan went off to the hospital yesterday and at last she has been given some stoma bags that are actually working properly.  It's a relief to her but the stoma nurse seemed to take all the hassle in her stride saying that for most patients it's a case of trial and error finding the right system.  Jan was getting pretty depressed by it all.  Not surprising really is it?  Perhaps they should have warned her that there might be a problem in finding the right sort of bag. 

We've just had a phone call from the care home where mother is and it seems that mother has been vomiting this morning and now she is wheezing quite a bit.  They think she may got some vomit down her windpipe so she is on her way to A&E at the Hussy.  So this one will have end here I'm afraid.        

No comments:

Post a Comment