Friday 8 March 2013

Art, a share of art and a disappointment perhaps?

8 March 2013

ART!  

What is art?  Sometime ago there was a series of art programmes on Channel 4 about British art and in the last one a man walked around a field and for him that was a work of art.  That's just it isn't it?  Art can whatever the creator or the viewer says it is.  Ernst Gombrich coined a phrase, 'the beholders share' in Art and Illusion.  He then on into a philosophical discussion at to what the beholders share was.  To me it meant what I was to take from a work of art.  But it's that same question again.  An object, painting, dance, book or whatever becomes art when three things happen; a, the creator says its art; b, the item is on display or available to the public; c, it's being discussed by the public.  Right then ...

The latest Writers' Mag arrived here a couple of days ago and last night I managed to get to have a glance at it.  Towards the back there is an article about The Hussy herself.  So many people love her writing; she draws large crowds of people to Dorktown to see the place where she was born and schooled and spent her early years.  Now there's a thing; the village of Coton was separate to the then Dorktown.  The building still around that she would have known are the Coton Heritage Centre where she was schooled and an old shed type thing out the back of the Griff House Hotel just off the A444.  I wonder just how many of the devoted followers are disappointed when they see the place.

So George Eliot then was a writer, and therefore an artist.  What is my beholders share of her mutterings?  Well, boredom and sleepiness spring to mind.  Several time I have tried to read Mill on the Floss and each time I have fallen asleep before the bottom of the first page.  I now need to decide if I will actually read that article.  The column it is part of 'How to write like ...'  One thing I am sure of is that I don't won't my mutterings to send even one reader asleep!  More than likely I will read it.  You see, sometime ago I met a man who said that he always listens to everyone when they talk.  He listens to the successful man so I can learn how he succeeds.  I also listen to the unsuccessful man because I certainly don't want to end up like him.  So there yer go then!

A photo for today ...  

a Mrs Blackbird on the fence out back.

And a funny ...


Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway? I dunno, why do we? 



And when will doctors stop practicing and do the job for real?

No comments:

Post a Comment