Friday 1 March 2013

Jan, The Hussy and the problems at the Hussy



1 March 2013

Jan is back in hospital.  We were lying in bed reading on Tuesday night when she had felt something running down her tummy.  Have a look she found that the site of her stoma had burst open.  We were in A&E at just after 11pm.  After six hours on one of their trolleys she was eventually moved to Nason Ward.  Her surgeon isn't sure when he will do the repair so Jan in now on antibiotics but I can't see her getting done until next week now.

When I have been an inmate - sorry - patient at the Hussy, I have few if any problems.  Jan however seems to get loads.  Take her six hour wait for her transfer to a ward; add to that the conflicting messages she was getting about whether she could eat or not - with doc saying yes, another saying no.  Jan has been in the Hussy more times than I can remember.  And I can't remember any one time where there hasn't been some complication one way or another.

The horror story of North Staffordshire NHS Trust is not alone you know, it's just that someone up there spoke out and kept on speaking out until there was an enquiry.  The Hussy certainly has its problems, Jan is just one such issue.  On top of the current problems for her one time she was left sitting on her bed side and the nurse forgot about her until there was a flurry of patient call buttons being pressed.  They found Jan on the floor having fallen asleep and falling off her bed.  I personally know three people who were operated on by one orthopaedic surgeon and were left cripple by him.  I have knowledge of at least four others who I don't personally know.   At various time I have mice running around the wards.  Aggressive nursing staff has been an issue in the past.  One time I visited my mother and saw one elderly lady lying in bed while her dinner was going cold beside her.  And ... ... ...

As I left home yesterday I was met by one of our neighbours who introduce me to another one.  It seems that some of the folk in the houses opposite where we live have been keeping fancy chickens in their back garden.  They are no up in arms because a couple of raptors have moved into the area and are taking the chickens.  I feel sorry for the chicken owners but the raptors are doing what they are meant to do in nature.  My hope now is that the folks over there don't do anything silly about the birds, they are just obeying the call of nature.

So now to find a photo ... 

the bar of the Westminster Arms with a fine selection of real ales.  The sausage and mash I had in there was nice too.  The pub is on a street behind the QEII conference building if you fancy a pint there.

Another short funny ... 

I told my mum that I'd opened a theatre. She said, 'Are you having me on?' I said, 'Well I'll give you an audition, but I'm not promising you anything..' 

No comments:

Post a Comment