Thursday 28 March 2013

I'm off traveling again, a dangerous road, and fish for dinner



28 March 2013 

Well, the deed is done And I have booked a five day break in Edinburgh while Jan is off to Spring Harvest.  Just think folks, all that malt whiskey to drink and only five days to try it all ;-)))

Actually, I'm hoping to get my granddads date of birth, that's why I'm going there.  By looking at Google Earth there seems to be a good deal of urban birding there too; and there is are the museums and art galleries too.  I shall have a full five days methinks.

I need to get into town today but I'm having to stay in because of some deliveries we are expecting.  Jan has taken Kile out for a few hours so he doesn't get too bored while he's here.  After all, he's 8 and we're not and we don't have a lot for him to do apart from DVDs and the Wii.  He loves coming and staying with us anyway.  Just like all grandparents, we spoil him rotten when he's with us.  He loves it.

Head line on today's News reads, "Safety Legacy Fore Sean."  Last September 20 year old Sean was struck by a car at the junction  of A44 and Sutherland Drive.  His family are of course very upset and grieving for him, but I'm wondering why he was at that junction in the first place.  The A444 is a dual carriageway and has no footpaths on either side.  It seems to me that it is a road that is just not safe enough for anyone to walk along.  I know that when I used to ride along there on my bike to and from work it was dangerous enough, let alone walking.  I hope Sean's family get their wish though and a that a footpath is created along that road.

Also in the News is a plan to bring more entertainment into the town centres of Dorktown and Bed'th in an attempt to liven the place up and make them more inviting.  OK, fine; but when will the entertainers be there?  If it is only on market days then I don't think it will be all that successful.  I can't people saying to each, "I'm off to Dorktown market today; they have really good entertainers on there.  I have a feeling that increasing the number of market traders and getting the closed shops being re-opened would work a lot more!

Along that line, I was thinking last night about the number of shops that have closed down over the years.  What started it was a fancy for some fresh fish for dinner tomorrow, but Dorktown doesn't have a fish monger now.  The only one we had was Coleman's in Stratford Street.  We can get fresh fish from Asda of course I suppose but that means going out of my way as my way home.  The other shop I started to think about was Reg Haddon's, a bookshop on the corner of Queens Road and Dougdale Street.  Reg was a bit of misery but he was willing order any book you wanted and get it delivered quite quickly.  We lost both shops, as well as the Castle and Red Lion pubs when a major redevelopment took place on Queens Road ... and that reminds that the old De Di Maccicos ice cream parlour closed about the same time.  Dorktown now has lots of new, bright clinically clean shops and in creating them the life and character out of the town has been sucked out!

OK, enough rambling on, time for a photo ... 

the market place clock tower.  There used to be a pub in the same building and had the imaginative name of - The Clock - wodarfunk it eh? 

Today's funny ...         
 
When Forest Gump died, he stood in front of St. Peter at the Pearly Gates. St. Peter said, "Welcome, Forest. We've heard a lot about you." He continued, "Unfortunately, it's getting pretty crowded up here and we find that we now have to give people an entrance examination before we let them in."
"Okay," said Forest. "I hope it's not too hard. I've already been through a test. My momma used to say, 'Life is like a final exam. It's hard.' "
"Yes, Forest, I know. But this test is only three questions. Here they are."
1) Which two days of the week begin with the letter 'T'?"
2) How many seconds are in a year?
3) What is God's first name?
"Well, sir," said Forest, "The first one is easy. Which two days of the week begin with the letter 'T'? Today and Tomorrow."
St. Peter looked surprised and said, "Well, that wasn't the answer I was looking for, but you have a point. I give you credit for that answer."
"The next question," said Forest, "How many seconds are in a year? Twelve."
"Twelve?" said St. Peter, surprised and confused.
"Yes, sir. January 2nd, February 2nd, March 2nd …"
St. Peter interrupted him. "I see what you mean. I'll have to give you credit for that one, too."
"And the last question," said Forest, "What is God's first name? It's Andy."
"Andy?" said St. Peter, in shock. "How did you come up with 'Andy'?"

"I learned it in church. We used to sing about it." Forest broke into song, "Andy walks with me, Andy talks with me, Andy tells me I am His own."
St. Peter opened the gate to heaven and said, "Run, Forest, Run!"

No comments:

Post a Comment