Thursday 21 March 2013

CAB, the Budget and Easter Eggs



21 March 2013

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) here in Dorktown is breathing a sigh of relief just now.  It seems that the local council has given them a reprieve on its funding.  It means that us Dorktowners will still be able to go and get advice on whatever it is that might causing them worries.  One of the biggest worries of course is the way that benefits are being cut to the bone.  Debt is another big problem too.  I've always thought that CAB was an essential public service that fights for the rights of the people out on the street.  Governments of course, of whatever colour are not so sure.  CAB will speak out against anything thought up or brought in by government that might impact on the public.  I'm pleased that our council see the good work being done and are continuing to support it rather than cutting it back.

What did you make of the Budget then?  I shall enjoy spending my 1p saving on a pint of beer.  Maybe in a couple of years I shall celebrate by buying another pint.  The fuel escalator has been cancelled so hopefully the price of fuel won't go up so much now.  Of course the suppliers won't be able to claim that extra price is due to a rise in tax will they?  No, they will have to fall back on the rising costs of oil on the worlds market and the weakness of £ sterling.  Whatever - none of us common folk will be any better off because of it.  Even the help with buying a house is only going help a smallish section of us.  Those of us who are already home owners or are renting our homes, either as social housing tenants or from a private landlord won't benefit from it will we? 

Easter is fast approaching folks; hope you've all bought your Easter eggs.  I bought three for tenner from Asda yesterday for Kile, Vicky and Billy-boy.  I can't remember the last time I had one.  For years I used to have a pineapple instead.  Very nice too.  Now I don't bother at all but the kids like them.

Yesterday Jan picked up Kile's mum and took her up to see mother.  They got to the ward and mother seemed to be OK.  In fact she seemed more that OK!  She said to them, If anyone come now they can bugger off.  It's time for bed now."  She's back to her old cantankerous self now.  She is still very poorly though and the staff still think she won't make it out and go back to her care home.  It's sad to see someone so full of life at one time suffering in the way she is right now.  I hate to say but to be honest it will be blessing for her when it is all over.  It will also be a blessing for us too.  Neither of us or all that well really and the added stress and worry over mother isn't really doing us all that much good either.  Ah well ... ... ...

The other day as I rode into town on me scooter I saw this ... 

a classic Triumph Herald convertible on Weddington Road.  I used to make the seats for those before I joined the army in 1967.

Funny time ...

My champion racing snail seems to have stopped performing as he isn't winning any races these days.
I thought that it might be because he's getting older so I decided to remove his shell to bring his weight down a bit and make him a bit more aerodynamic and give him a fighting chance.  Sadly it didn't go to plan.  In fact, if anything its made him a bit more sluggish.        

No comments:

Post a Comment