Sunday 1 April 2012

April Fools day

1 April 2012

It's that day again ... the day when people try to make fools of everyone else.  I've done it too.  When we lived in Gunn Hill there were two bus services into town from our village.  The 739 service stopped on the edge of the village and we had a fair walk from there to home.  Most times it was OK but I can understand that on Saturday's after we've been into Dorktown shopping that they would prefer to get the 740 service which took us a good deal closer to home - and less distance to carry all the shopping bags.  One year I sat in the bus station cafe with my parents I said, "There's a 740 in ready to go!"  A mad rush to catch it followed by a happy, "April Fool," to my dad caused a mad dad to become a laughing dad and for me getting a warning that I wouldn't catch him next time ;-)))

The Sunday Express today has a list of such jokes that have been played on the public over the years.  My favourite is the one about guardsman's bear skins needing to be cut because the hair in starts growing every spring.  But the papers Birdman has tried one which isn't quite so clever as that one.  Some time in 19th century I think it was, the great auk, a sea bird was hunted to extinction.  There's stuffed one in the natural history museum if you're interested.  In Birdman's column he claims that the bird is alive and well and still breeding in wild.  As soon as I saw I thought was a gag but as I read on it's clear it is.  The claim is that in the Faroes there's going to be an announcement made just after 12 midday today about it.  He uses names like Avril Primaunna and Heather Binhad.  Yeah, OK Stuart ... you really do need to try harder!

I have been aware that there is a general lack of respect for disabled people.  I've seen it the faces of a lot of people who I pass while out on my scooter.  I see it when they push into queues ahead of me at cash outs.  I see it whenever there is a lack of facilities for the disabled and the couldn't care less attitude of those who provide services.  Tesco is one of the worst offenders because their security will not police the disabled parking places in their car parks.  But what else can we expect when the government is just as bad.  They plan to close a number of the Remploy factories while at the same time are encouraging firms to enter the justice system to provide jobs for convicted prisoners.  Then there's the case of Dame Tanni  Grey-Thompson is heaped with abuse because she complained about getting help from Network Rail staff to get off a train - even though she had actually booked it.  Just how bad does it have to get before the government does something about it.

Today's photo then ... 

 speaks for itself really.

This one pretty good ...
A husband and wife were having dinner at a very fine restaurant when this absolutely stunning young woman comes over to their table, gives her husband a big kiss, then says she'll see him later and walks away.  The wife glares at her husband and says, "Who the hell was that?"
"Oh," replies the husband, "she's my mistress."
"Well, that's the last straw," says the wife. "I've had enough, I want a divorce!"
"I can understand that," replies her husband, "but remember, if we get a divorce it will mean no more shopping trips to Paris, no more wintering in Barbados, no more summers in Tuscany, no more Merc and Lexus in the garage and no more yacht club.  But the decision is yours."
Just then, a mutual friend enters the restaurant with a gorgeous lady on his arm.  "Who's that woman with Jim?" asks the wife.
"That's his mistress," says her husband.
"Ours is prettier," she replies.   

No comments:

Post a Comment