Sunday 29 April 2012

Lost head, good reads and a name game

29 April 2012

I'm sure if my head wasn't screwed on I'd forget one day!  or maybe is just my age creeping up on me ;-)))  Whatever, I keep forgetting things, nothing important of course but things I should by now know that I should be doing and don't.  It's like today's funny.  I found it on a website yesterday and copied over to here on the Word doc where I keep all the News items.  At the same time I thought of a couple of ideas for inclusion in today's post.  I didn't make a note of them and now I can't think what they are.  Not only that I also forgot to make a note of the URL for the website where I got the joke.  Ah well ... ... ...

Every Sunday we have the Sunday Express delivered here.  The reason I decided to have sent was because there's column in it by Stuart Winter, the papers environment editor.  The column is called Birdman.  I got to like his writing when I bought a copy of his Tales of a Tabloid Twitcher, where he explains how he fits his birding in with his career.  It's a good read and well worth going for if haven't already read it.  Anyway, that's the plug out the way for today ... in today's piece he speaks of his new waterproof jacket and how good it is.  OK, fine, no problems with that.  This jacket has 13 pockets would you believe?  There's a photo of a guy (not Winter), wearing one.  I showed the pic to Jan and said it was bad for £150 - hahaha.  Jan's reaction was that the jacket looked so tight on the man he would be able to get anything in all those pockets.  Good point  love, good point.

Yesterday I did go out for half an hour.  We were hoping to get out do some more snapping but it was too bloody cold!  I went because I wanted to go to t Waterstones to buy a new dic'n'arry and I wanted to have a look at them first.  I bought one at £8.99.  I also noticed a paperback book called Dead Like You by Peter James.  I'd just that morning read an article about James in the current issue of Writing Magazine.  So I also bought that book too.  And it's not a bad story so far.  It's an easy read too with short chapters while mine can be long, sometimes over 3000 words.  Methinks I might need rethink that a wee bit.  Do you remember me saying I bought three books there not so long ago and was surprised that they were hardbacks?  Well, I've finished The Unlikely Pilgrimage and I'm half way through The English Monster.  Both are good reads and well worth the dosh for them, but I like The English Monster most though.  It moves between the 19th century investigation of a couple of murders of two whole families and the 16/17/18th centuries following the exploits of one man.  And that's all I'll say in case I spoil it for you.  Worth buying though folks.

My own writing is at a stop right now.  My latest effort is currently being proof read so sometime today I will start a new one.  But this time I am going back to my OU days and hand writing it first.  Just to stretch your memories again, do you remember me buying one of those pens that records your writing and uploads it to the 'puter?  Well, I'm going to make an effort to learn how to use the software that came with it.  The basis of the story is a photographer who turns to murder and snaps his victims - that's all your getting for now.

And talking of photos ... 

This one is from a trip to Cambridge.  I got this one on Jesus Green.                
And here's the funny at last ...

Murphy, O’Shea & Mulligan go for a job on a building site, but have been told beforehand that the foreman dislikes the Irish.  Murphy suggests to the other two that they give English sounding names. O’Shea goes in first to his interview, the foreman asks him his name, O'Shea looks out of the window & sees a book shop
"My name is W H Smith"
"get out" shouts the foreman.
Mulligan goes in he gets the same question he looks out of the window and sees a shoe shop, "my name is Freeman Hardy Willis"
"get out" shouts the foreman.
Murphy is last in, an exasperated foreman asks what’s your name? Murphy has a good look out of window and replies "Ken"
"thank goodness for that" says the foreman, "Ken who?"
"Tucky Fried Chicken" says Murphy.

No comments:

Post a Comment