Friday 13 April 2012

Canals and balls

13 April 2012

Are you worried about today’s date?  If so, why?  It’s a normal day and date just like all the others in every year.  As can probably tell I’m not superstitious.  My mother was and she wasn’t.  That sounds daft I know but she really was.  With her it was a pick’n’mix kind of thing.  If she spilt salt she would through some over her left shoulder; she wouldn’t even think of cutter her nails on a Friday or a Sunday; two knives with crossed points and she through one on the floor from someone else to pick up.  But a broken mirror was a silly idea.

A couple of days ago I mentioned a national grid for water supplies.  Well, me old mate Bill Howe sent me an email last night about a proposal made in 1942 about what was termed as The Grand Contour Canal.  It’s rather an interesting paper which proposed a canal at a level of 310 foot above sea level which would follow the contours found on a map.  If this plan had been acted on it would have seen a canal built that would have linked Southampton and London and eventually stretching all the way north to Newcastle on the East Coast.  Such a plan would be out of the question these days, especially if it meant money not being spent on HS2!  The News this morning has run a small piece on the Severn Trent offer but my letter hasn’t been published yet, if it does get published anyway ;-)))

Both of us have GP appointment today.  Bit of a pain that seeing that I have to go and see a GP because one of my pills that are on my repeat didn’t get issued.  After that we will no doubt have a ride around town and do a wee bit of shopping.  I can hear my credit card breathing heavy with worry even now before we go ;-)))

Trying to keep in the flow(!) of water sort of thing, todays’ photo is of two boats in a lock at Braunstone …
 
A man entered the bus with both of his front pockets full of golf balls, and sat down next to a beautiful (you guessed it) blonde. The puzzled blonde kept looking at him and his bulging pockets.
Finally, after many such glances from her, he said, "It's golf balls".
Nevertheless, the blonde continued to look at him thoughtfully and finally, not being able to contain her curiosity any longer, asked,  "Does it hurt as much as tennis elbow?"   

No comments:

Post a Comment