Tuesday 13 March 2012

Now what the heck have I done?

13 March 2012

Have you heard of Silver Surfers?  I'm sure you have one way or another.  The idea is to teach older people how to use a computer and it was very successful around here.  Anyway, Dorktown was used a trial area when it was first set up in 2002.  Now Age UK have lost their funding to continue to provide the service.  Warwickshire County Council has stepped in and will now be running the service through the library service.  But hang on a mow ... it wasn't all that long ago when they were closing libraries throughout the county.  So where has this money suddenly appeared from?  Whatever - they have found it and a popular service is to continue.

Somewhere within the UK sexual abuse of children is going on a daily basis.  I really can't see why these people commit such dreadful crimes that cause long term mental damage as well as the physical injury.  But what happens when a 14  year old boy rapes a 5 year old and a 7 year old girl?  The Dorktown News carries such a story today.  The boy in question was appearing in Warwick Crown Court on these charges.  Reports have been ordered before sentencing can go ahead.  But what I can't get out of my head right now is how did the lad learn about it?  What made him even think about it?  The other thing is that from oh so many other instances of this type where abusers continue to abuse and get more clever as they learn how to cover it up, is this the start of a life time abusing?  I hope not.  I hope that he can be turned away from such offending.

We usually go shopping on Monday, but as we were not in any real need for anything we didn't bother.  Jan has just left to go and do what little shopping we need.  I was going to go with her but  somehow or other I have managed to pull a muscle in my left side.  The pain if I move suddenly or try to lift anything is really bad.  Thing is, I don't know how I have done it, let alone when!  All I know is that it hurts like blazes!  And I can't take any more pain killers either seeing I'm on as many as I can take right now for my normal pain levels.  

So here I sit at me 'puter trying to entertain you good readers.  I might even try to get some more of my book written later too.  At 69,000 words its coming along nicely, well sort of anyway.  It's all higgledy-piggidley right now with various plot sections in various places.  The main story is about a police investigation in Cambridge but I'm interweaving a number of sub-plot within it with the intention of bringing them all together towards the end.  But right now, it's a real mess.  It will come out OK in the end though ... but will the goodies win this time, or will the baddies get away with it?  Now that is the question.

Photo time ... I'll go back the library section for it ... 

This is Brum's new library building going up in Centenary Square.  There's a lot of discussion about it and not many actually like it.  Me being true to form and not going down the easy path - side pain or not - I do rather like it.  It's a striking building that adds to the overall feel of the Square, or will do when all the hoarding is taken down and it is fully open to the public.  I shall certainly be making my way around to it then.  I also like the layout of the current building but I can understand that it is not best building in the city centre.  Now I'm wondering what will happen to it when it the new one opens.  The Library is just one organisation that uses a large area within the building as a whole.  The other occupants are businesses, most food and drink providers.  But the main use is as a covered walk way between Chamberlain and Centenary Squares.

I suppose you will be wanting a funny now then  ... here you are then ...

An elderly man in Adelaide calls his son in Sydney and says, "I hate to ruin your day, but I have to tell you that your mother and I are divorcing; forty-five years of misery is enough."
"Pop, what are you talking about?" the son yells.
We can't stand the sight of each other any longer," the old man says.  "We're sick of each other, and I don't want to talk about it, so you call your sister in Brisbane and tell her," and he hangs up.
Frantic, the son calls his sister, who explodes on the phone. "Like heck they're getting divorced," she shouts, "I'll take care of this."
She calls her dad immediately, and screams at the old man, "You are NOT getting divorced! Don't do a single thing until I get there. I'm calling my brother back, and we'll both be there tomorrow. Until then, don't do a thing,
DO YOU HEAR ME?" and hangs up.
The old man hangs up his phone and turns to his wife. "Okay," he
says, "they're coming for Christmas and paying their own airfares."

No comments:

Post a Comment