Monday 5 March 2012

Eyes tested!

5 March 2012

Last Thursday I had my Annual eye test at Specsavers.  At the time I mentioned that over the past week I had seen some sort of line or shape at the extremities of my sight in the right eye.  After a test that went on for over an hour I was referred to the Walsgrave Hospital for a more detailed examination.  I went there this morning.  Jan dropped me off and I called her when I had finished.  Anyway, everything is clear with my eyes thankfully.  But while I was sat in my scooter waiting to be called and I noticed that even though I was sat still the water in the two bottles I had bought were rippling very well.  "Strange," I thought, "now what is causing that?"  So I got out of my scooter to make sure and stood watching the water bottles.  Every time someone walked by the rippling got worse.  It seems that the whole building has a case of the shakes.  I wonder if that was designed in or of its yet another unforeseen problem with the place. 

Oh yes, I did get two for one in Specsavers ;-)))
 
According the News today, The Hussy Hospital has somehow managed to save £9million during the last financial year.  I wonder if that is going to make it safer when it comes to moving services away from there to the Walsgrave or not?  We can only wait and see.

Not so long ago the area of Camp Hill here in Dorktown had a terrible reputation.  Even now it's all that great to be honest.  But various bodies have ploughed millions of pounds into the area, with money still being spent up there in an effort to raise its profile and to encourage the residents to take a pride in the estate.  Part of the problem up there was that for a long time the Council was using it as place to put problem families.  A lot of the house were not really all that suitable either.  They were concrete built ex-coal board houses and they had major problems anyway.  One such road was Ludford Road.  A block of four house are awaiting demolition but some yobs managed to get in set them on fire.  Already an eye sore they now a danger too.  I don't know what it is with some people that they have to destroy everything they see.  It just doesn't make sense to me.

As you may remember, we are looking at leaving Dorktown at some time in the future.  We did look at moving to Spain once and now that is on the agenda again.  Later I shall look on the web to see what I can find out about doing so.  We will need to think about of things before we decided.  We are both on a lot of medication and we will need to find out about how we go about that.  Not just the medication though, how good is the general health care over there?  Hospital waiting times and oh so much more needs to be thought through.  We shall see though.

With that in mind then, today's photo is one I got in Palma, Mallorca a couple of years ago when we were on Holiday ...   

It's a view from the cathedral walls out over the harbour and bay.

The Sage sent me a new one last evening ...
Letter Home From Hillbilly In Army
Dear Ma and Pa,
Am well. Hope you are. Tell brother Walt and brother Elmer the Army beats working for old man Minch by a mile. Tell them to join up quick before maybe all the places are filled. I was restless at first because you got to stay in bed till nearly 5a.m., but am getting so I like to sleep late. Tell Walt and Elmer all you do before breakfast is smooth your cot and shine some things -- no hogs to slop, feed to pitch, mash to mix, wood to split, fire to lay. Practically nothing. Men got to shave, but it ain't bad, they git warm water. Breakfast is strong on trimmings like fruit juice, cereal, eggs, bacon, etc., but kinda weak on chops, potatoes, beef, ham, steak, fried eggplant, pie, and regular food. But tell Walt and Elmer you can always sit between two city boys that live on coffee. Their food plus yours holds you till noon, when you get fed again. It aint no wonder these city boys can't walk much. We go on "route marches," which, the Sgt. says, are long walks to harden us. If he thinks so, it is not my place to tell him different. A "route march" is about as far as to our mailbox at home. Then the city guys all get sore feet and we ride back in trucks. The country is nice, but awful flat. The Sgt. is like a schoolteacher. He nags some. The Capt. is like the school board. Colonels and Generals just ride around and frown. They don't bother none. This next will kill Walt and Elmer with laughing. I keep gettin medals for shootin. I don't know why. The bull's-eye is near as big as a chipmunk and don't move. And it ain't shooting back, like the Higgett boys at home. All you got to do is lay there all comfortable and hit it. You don't even load your own cartridges. They come in boxes. Be sure to tell Walt and Elmer to hurry and join up before other fellows get onto this setup and come stampeding in.
Yore lovin daughter, Gail
P.S. Speakin of shootin, enclosed is $200 for barn roof and ma's teeth. The city boys shoot craps, but not very good...

No comments:

Post a Comment