Wednesday 7 March 2012

Happy Birthday Mother

7 March 2012 

Today is mothers birthday- she's 21 again ;-)))  Jan has gone up to see her but I doubt if she knows anything about it and will wonder what all the fuss is about.  She was rather ill over Christmas and New Year and we were getting ready for the bad news.  The senior nurse in the home had a look at mother's medication and couldn't understand why she was on a pill for people with dementia who were agitated and unsettled.  Mother had now been weaned off the pill and is now much more aware of what is going on around her.  She is even feeding herself at meal times.  Of course, no one will admit to putting her on the pills in the first place.

This year is going to be a big year one way or another.  The Olympics and Liz being sat on a bog for 60 years, very exciting eh?  Not here in Dorktown it seems.  Even though the Council has removed all the costs involved in closing road for street parties, no one has actually applied to do so.  The only show of interest was from one man who wanted to hold a party in his garage, but he doesn't need permission to do that.  I hope he takes the car out first though ;-)))  It seems that applications to hold parties form The Wedding last year came in very late and that is what the council thinks will happen this time too.  
I'm not sure our street can hold one anyway.  We are the centre street of three one way streets that run parallel to each other with only our street being one way, the two others go the opposite way.  Closing our street would cause chaos.  BO Ho ... I like chaos ;-)))

There's a local charity here in Dorktown called Second Chance.  It sells cheap second hand furniture and so on.  My computer desk came back to me through them.  I gave it to my son, he sold it and we found it again at Second Chance.  So after 4 years I got it back - so the £10 price seems reasonable for 4 years storage.  Anyway - the charity gets in loads of old books too.  They set up in Bed'th market and were giving away a load of books for free to whoever wants them.  Not a bad idea that.  It gets the charity known by a wider community.

Still on the books theme, I finished reading the new edition of the Writing Magazine.  There's an interview with one writer who claims that at one time she was reading 10 books a week.  I wish I could read that fast!  The most I've ever managed is one 130 page book in one day.  But I didn't have anything else to do that day so I was able to get on with it.  But 10 in week sounds a tad too much in my view.  The same woman is hoping to publish 3 or 4 books this year alone.  That's fast writing, editing, proof reading and so on.  I worry as the quality of my writing as it is, but 3 or 4 in one year?  No way!  Far too much!

So after this I shall get on with my latest effort.  I now have all the elements in place so it's time now to start to pull; them all together.  There's a young girl who is upset about not being allowed to become a nun; a 36 victim serial killer; a 4 victim serial killer; two separate major drug dealers; an arson case where some dies; 3 corrupt coppers; and what else ... of yes, a bank employee sacked for drug taking while at work.  That worthy is out for revenge on the bank manager.  Sounds outlandish doesn't it?  Well, I'm please about that cos in that mag there's a piece about suspending belief when you read a book.  As the piece says, "Oxford has never had as many killings as Morse and Lewis investigated.  And I doubt Denton did either!

Photo time ... 

I called this one England's Hope.  I'm there, second from the left.  Taken during my Army training in 1967. 

From the Red Book ...
 
Economy is a way is of spending money without getting any fun out of it!                       

No comments:

Post a Comment