Wednesday 14 March 2012

The big show get's closer by the day.

14 March 2012

The big show aka the Olympics is getting closer every day.  I remember hearing someone say that although it would be held in London, it was an opportunity for the whole country to get involved and take part.  For the lucky few that means being able to get tickets to go and see it all live.  For the vast majority though it means sitting in home watching telly.  That doesn't really sound like getting involved to me.  Part of the legacy is supposed to be that many more people will take up a sport because of seeing the Olympics here in the UK.  But sitting watching telly doesn't sound like it will all that successful.  However, a team students and one staff member from our local 6th form college have been lucky enough to be picked to be volunteers at the games.  Good for them I say!

For those who don't know, the A5 is a road is a major road that begins at Marble Arch in London and continues north west all the way to Holyhead in Anglesey.  Part of its route brings it within a few miles of Dorktown town centre where it is part of the Warwickshire-Leicestershire boarder.  Anyway, on the t'ther side of the A5 is an old airfield that has now been converted into a test track the motor industry.  MIRA has been given the go head to expand and re-develop its site.  That should secure the current jobs there and will hopefully create more jobs for the local area as the site develops.

But as MIRA is given the go-head, another attempt is finding it hard to get any support.  Here's why ... there used to be a pub called The Graziers which was in a not very convenient location.  It was closed in 2007 and soon demolished.  Now, Dorktown has a ring road, but no ordinary ring road.  This one cuts right through the town centre.  From the island by Asda and the bus station, the road is one way along Newtown Road, Bond Street, Regent Street, Leicester Road as far as Old Hinckley Road.  KFC wanted to build a drive through outlet on the old pub site just at the end of this one way system.  If a pub couldn't thrive there how could yet another fast food joint do so.  In any case, there is massive opposition to the project with the county council leading the way.  For once the council and locals are in agreement over something.  £1 to pinch of salt it the planners go against their wishes!

I have been rather impressed with a show on telly called The Tube.  It's about the London underground system and how it's kept operating moving millions of people each week.  Well, I love London - as a visitor that is, and go down there fairly often.  However, I've found that I can't manage to all the stairs there to get down to use the Tube.  So the last twice I've been down there I managed to park around the National Gallery and use my scooter to get about.  Both times it was a Sunday, I'm not sure I would want to try it on weekday though.  But I had a thought while I was watching The Tube on catch-up telly last night.  Why not use the buses?  I shall be investigating that later today.  And seeing as I'm currently on about the Tube, here's today's photo ... 

I got this one on the Tube one time I was able to use it.

And from the funny farm ...

One morning a man came into the church on crutches. He stopped in
front of the holy water, put some on both legs, and then threw away
his crutches.

An alter boy witnessed the scene and then ran into the rectory to tell
the priest what he'd just seen.

"Son, you've just witnessed a miracle," the priest said. "Tell me
where is this man now?"

"Flat on his rear-end over by the holy water," said the boy.           

No comments:

Post a Comment