Friday 2 March 2012

Minsmere was sort of OK ...

2 March 2012

I'm not sure really how describe yesterday.  It was bright and sunny by the time we arrived at Minsmere but our scooters couldn't manage one part of the site and one of my batteries went a knacker too.  We did get 5 new birds for our years, once of which, the red throated diver was also a life tick.  Total number of the day was 43.  If you would like to read about the day, why not have a look at ...  http://birderronindorktown.blogspot.com/

Sadly Dorktown was still here when we got back.  I was half hoping that it would  disappeared but leaving our house where it is.  So seeing as it still here I suppose I'd better let you know what has been going on.  Dorktown has its own wildlife sanctuary and they are struggling to keep it going after a 100% increase in fuel costs over the last 12 months.  Fuel prices are a real rip off as I'm sure you all aware.  Yesterday we drove past one garage where diesel was selling at £1.49 a litre.  We paid £1.38 at Asda yesterday before we left for the day. 

Our Muppet Person is pushing to get a regular and faster train service from Dorktown to London.  Yet in the Dorktown News there's and ad for londonmidland trains showing prices of walk-up fares at £20.  So really, I don't see what the problem is.  I think he's trying to get Virgin Trains to stop here again as they used to.  They may be quicker but why all the rush?  What you gain on the journey down there you'll lose on the Tube or in a taxi stuck in London traffic.  Greek Cypriots have a saying - sigara sigara - meaning slowly slowy.  Not sure of the spelling there sigara so I hope and Cypriots won't want me hung at dawn over it ;-)))  The thing is though, why rush about when you will still get there at a slower less frantic pace?

As a writer I read various magazines and blogs about writing.  On a regular basis I read that we should always have a note book with us for when ideas come to mind.  I've lost count of the times that I have thought of something and thought to myself, "I must remember that one!" - and promptly forget it.  Well, while were sat eating lunch yesterday at Minsmere I had a thought come and quickly reached for my notebook and pen and made a note of it.  But guess what?  Lying in bed last night I couldn't remember what the note was about.  Jan laughed when I told her ;-)))  So what was it then?  Here it is as I wrote it ...

A thought occurs, to me.  Minsmere is having a lot of work done right now and all the site workers are walking around in hard hats and  those yellow day glow vest thingies.  But the RSPB staff and the visitors?  They don't have to wear them.  It makes a mockery of the health and safety nutters who make up these silly rules and regulations.  I saw exactly the same in Barclays bank here in Dorktown some years ago when they were having some major work done and kept open to the public while it was going.  Crazy of you ask me. 

I did get some new photos yesterday but they are still in the camera and had nowt done to them yet.  So, for toady then there's this one ... 

it's a vulture of some sort that I snapped in Chester Zoo some years ago.

And from the Sage ...

I rear-ended a car this morning.. So, there we were alongside the road and slowly the other driver got out of his car.
You know how sometimes you just get soooo stressed and little things just seem funny?
Yeah, well I couldn't believe it.... He was a DWARF!!!
He stormed over to my car, looked up at me, and shouted,
'I AM NOT HAPPY!'
So, I looked down at him and said, 'Well, then which one are you?'
And then the fight started!        

No comments:

Post a Comment