Monday 4 July 2016

Ups, downs and sideways perahps?


4 July



A normal Monday morning for us here in the UK, but the yanks make it a big day because we, as a nation, wouldn’t play fair with them. It makes me wonder just how different things might be if we had played fair with them. However, that thought can lead down the road of counter-history, or the coulda-shoulda-woulda game that gets us nowhere. Anyway, enough of that sloppiness.



This morning I stripped my bed to change the sheets, nowt wrong with that of course, it gets done regularly. Today however, once the bottom sheet came off I could see that I need a new mattress. The memory foam on the top of it has completely broken down. It was fine last night so what’s caused it I don’t know. Maybe I slashed it with my super-long nails while I was asleep … don’t think so. Now we have to buy a new one, damn it!



I had a brain wave yesterday morning while Jan was at church. That idea was to use the DVD/CD player on my lappy to play my War of the Worlds CDs. Seeing as I’ve not done so before I had to run the set-up for it but that was soon done and the rich tones of Richard Burton began the story. It’s been ages since I last played that one and really enjoyed it. Jan arrived back so we moved onto another set of CDs called, All the Time in the World. This is a 5-disc compilation of jazz songs. We both enjoy it but after two of them Jan wanted a break and we went back to the telly.



Jan has spina bifida, and that is root of all her medical issues. Over the last few years, her spine has been curving forward. If you saw her now, you wouldn’t believe she was 6’ 2” tall, currently she is down to around 5’10”. If that wasn’t bad enough, her pain levels are going up, especially in her neck, which also tends to seize up. It’s even worse when it cracks and releases. I’ve seen her crying with the pain of that.



Well, she had enough and she is off to see a GP about getting referred to the hospital over it. Of course there are other issues that could well make it difficult to deal with the after effects of anything they do. The first one is if she has to use crutches, simply because her shoulders are full of arthritis and painful with normal use, having to carry her weight through them would be really bad for her.



And then of course, there is my own back operation coming up, and that won’t be fun at all for both of us. We had learned to live within Jan’s abilities and then it all changed when I hurt my back when I slipped in a shower and crushed the bottom disc of my back. So we started all over again and it looks like we will have to do it all again once we have both had our operations done. It becomes hard work after a time and also rather boring. However, we will survive and get over it all.



Today’s photo …

A family of apes statue at Twycross.               



Today’s funny …



A lad of 12 was a dedicated stamp collector until the kid next door bought an album also. "He buys every stamp I do," the kid complained to his father, "and had taken all the fun of it away." "Don't be a fool, my boy," said pop. "Remember, imitation is the sincerest form of philately."

No comments:

Post a Comment