Sunday 31 July 2016

Last blog for a while ...


31 July



Later today I have to make a quick trip into town to get me some slippers for Monday when I go into the Walsgrave. We had ordered them from a mail order place but they’ve not arrived yet, so now I’m off out when really I could do with staying at home. At least I can get some photos done, I hope …



And a hope it was too. Actually, we were up a bit later than we like and it threw me right out of kilter and very little got done, including getting some new slippers. Even so, I did get some slippers. For years now, going back to the 1960s I’ve been wearing size 8 shoes, which lengthwise were far too big. However, I have a large, or steep instep, any size smaller that an 8 just won’t fit. These days I’m having for but size 9 shoes because I can’t get size 8s on. Jan bought a size 7 slipper with an open instep and a Velcro fastener and they also fit me. So now I have my slippers.



Some time ago I saw another real-time cop show on telly and recorded it, it’s called Wanted. We sat and watched two of them last night and they’re pretty good. In one case the cops arrested a guy wanted on a warrant and they showed him full face – and yet I wonder … One of the arresting cops said that he had known the man for years and he hadn’t been any different and was in trouble pretty well all the time.



Oh right; so now the people in that city will now know about it him and his record. What happens at some point he ends up in front of jury where the jury isn’t allowed to know what sort of record a defendant has until after they reach a verdict. If the jury know about him from the telly show can they really come to a fair verdict on the evidence shown at the trial? I have my doubts you know, I really do. But there again, he could be lucky … … …



We have also been watching the Escape to the Winter Sun shows on telly too, as well as Sun Sea and A&E and what struck me is just how clean the streets are compared to here. We also noticed it while we were in Mallorca. Yes, we did see a few vacant plots that far from clean and tidy, but compared to here in the UK, they were spotless. So why is that I wonder? Why are we so as a nation dirty and untidy? It dies seem to be within the lower income areas where this happens, or at least that’s the impression given.



However, there is an area here in Dorktown where most of the houses are owner-occupied, which do tend to be the dirtiest. I hate to say it, but it’s one of the Asian areas of the town. There’s another such area which is nowhere near as dirty, so can’t just be down to the Asians who live there, and I’m not claiming it is down to them alone. There must be another reason for it, but I can’t of it. Anyway …



I saw on the ‘net yesterday that Iman of the area where the Muslim who killed the Catholic priest lived, has refused to help with the man’s funeral. The Iman has stated that the killer has tainted Islam with disgrace by his actions and therefore is a sinner who does not deserve to be given a Muslim funeral. At last someone speaks out against these killers in a way that should give the killers pause to think about their actions. But will they listen? I doubt it; they will likely claim the Iman is not a true Muslim and therefore deserves death himself. I have a feeling though, that if more Islamic clerics come out on the side of their French colleague, there would be a larger shift away from violence and towards the peace that Islam is supposed to be about.



Please don’t forget that this will be last blog I shall be writing for some time now. I’m due into the Walsgrave at 7am tomorrow morning and I have no idea when I shall be discharged. Even then, I don’t know when I shall be able to sit and write again.



Today’s photo …

Baked spud time, Coventry.             



Today’s funny …



What is the name of the prize that is awarded each year to the most successful dieter?
The no - belly prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment