Monday 25 July 2016

A or B, which is best?


25 July



Yesterday’s photo of Kile got me to thinking about all of my photos taken over the years. They first began in 1976 when I bought a Pentax Spotmatic 1000. That was a great camera and I really enjoyed using it; it’s a fully manual camera to zoom, exposure and focus. The only help you get is the built in exposure meter which is still very easy to use and read. However, you still have the setting on the camera to get the correct exposure. The biggest problem with it for me was that it is the old 42mm screw fitting lens system. Pentax had brought out their new K-fit bayonet fitting, and is what I really wanted before too long.



But my friends, can you imagine the number of films I’ve through since then? And that of course doesn’t count the thousands I have taken on digital; and yet, where are all those photos now? I no longer have any of the prints or the negatives. Part of the problem is lack of storage here in our flat. I hate throwing away anything that even looks like archive material. So it really did hurt when Jan and I went through them all and I finally threw them out. Now of course I really wish I hadn’t done that, but now it’s too late, and they are now lost for ever.



I have the same issue with all my books. During my time in the army I kept every book I read and then they were added to my pile back home in Bracebridge Street. Eventually they had to go, again because of storage problems. That is a situation I’ve found myself in oh so many more times. Right now there are a 178 titles on my Excel file, not counting the factual reference books I have, not my TBR (to be read), pile. Can you imagine the numbers of my books going back over so many years.



This where a Kindle wins hands down. Mine is an app on my Samsung tablet and measures 12cm x 19cm, and there’s a 32gig microSD card inserted. I really don’t know how many books I have on there, read or TBR. However, I like both methods of reading, so I won’t come down on either side in this argument.



This issue with way of reading books is best, is just the latest of a long line of such changes coming about. There’s the Apple v PC row still on-going; which video system was the best, VHS or Betamax; and of course the infamous film v digital row; prior to that the take up of colour over black and white film simmered for some time. On top of all that, there’s brand loyalty to take into account.



The purists of each system will always want to keep their treasured system and will fight tooth and nail to keep it. Why should it like that? O know a guy who uses Canon kit. He’s an excellent snapper and I’ve told him that too. He however, says that I’m better than him. What we both needed to think about was the difference in styles and genre that we work in. Why can’t we all just accept each other and each other’s likes and dislikes? I ask this because that guy has dropped me off his friends list, so sad really, because now neither of us can see each other’s work.



Today I have to go over to the Walsgrave for my blood test ready for next Monday’s admission. Not only that, my mornings meds had to be sorted out because I have to stop three of them a week before the operation, so two are out in the morning and one at night. Hopefully it will all be over and done with by Tuesday lunch time, and I’ll be on my feet again ready for going home.



Today’s photo …

A chunk of rusty metal on the beach at Titchwell RSPB. OK, there’s two versions, the original colour image and a black and white conversion that I did in Photoshop. Which do you prefer I wonder; for me it’s the B&W one.



Today’s funny …



The Three Bears returned one sunny Sunday morning from a stroll in the woods to find the door of their little house open. Cautiously, they went inside. After a while, big Daddy Bear's deep voice boomed out, "Someone's been eating MY porridge!" Mummy Bear gave a yelp, "Someone's been eating MY porridge!", she said. Little Baby Bear rushed in, "Forget the porridge - someone's nicked the DVD player!"

No comments:

Post a Comment