Sunday 24 July 2016

Mostly on writing


24 July



Yesterday I had a choice of going in to town or staying here and getting some writing done; I chose the latter and I got 4,000 words of …and Bristol Fashion done. That rather pleased me because I stopped working in it when I though the story had come to a dead end and I couldn’t see a way to get it going again. After a break of months, probably a year, I sat down to it again things just fell into place and I was off again. Very pleased about that, well, I was until James Harris up and changed his mind and altered the plot. I was relieved to read the other day that my characters are not the only ones who do that – oh dear, who’d be a writer? 



Stolen Asda bags, why do people need to steal five Asda bags for life? They’re only 10p, I wonder what they spent that extra 50p on? What? Oh, right, what happened. Are you sitting comfortable? On Friday I did have to go into town for a small amount of shopping, so off I happily went on my scooter. When I got to Asda both their shopping scooters were in use, so I went outside and got a small trolley, forgetting about the five bags in the me front basket. Off I went and did our shopping and when I got to check-out I finally remembered the bags.



Too late at that point of course. So I just loaded the shopping back into the trolley and returned to my scooter – and no bags. I was lucky that there wasn’t a lot of shopping and I found another bag in my over-seat carrier so with most of it that carrier and the rest in the bag which fitted into the front basket. Like I said, it’s only 50p so it wasn’t worth making a big fuss over it, and it was my fault anyway for not taking them with me. But come on folks; are they really so desperate they need to steal 50p? And then people ask why I call the town Dorktown!   



Thursday and our ride out next, and more missing items. While I was looking at maps and books and so on, Jan found a DVD she fancied. I’d seen it a couple of days before but decided to leave it for while. So we walked out of Smudges with our new road atlas and a DVD. We haven’t seen the DVD since then. So what happened to it? Both of us have been out and searched the car and neither of us found it. That item was a tenner, so yes, it might be worth stealing, but it was in the same bags as the atlas and looked through the that as Jan drove home. Jan will no doubt have another look later today.



The price difference between a physical paperback and a Kindle file. That 1300 page Stephen King I saw at £10, I later bought for £7.49 as a Kindle file from Amazon. At least with the paperback I would have had something physical to hold; but I didn’t go that way because of weight of it, so why are the Kindle files so expensive? I do understand that the author gets royalties from each sale, but I doubt King got all of the £7.49, Amazon gets the rest.



One of my favourite websites is - https://www.fantasticfiction.com/ Basically it an A-Z of authors and their work. I had another look yesterday and found that Stephen King has penned 140+ books. That’s a lot of writing folks, it really is. I’m sat here feeling elated at writing 4000 words in a few hours, but I wonder how many words King writes every day?



For me, the actual writing is the fun part. I do not like the editing though. If I could afford it, I’d get my work edited by a professional, but I can’t afford it, so I have to make do with efforts. It does make me wonder how the masters like Dickens and so on managed and whether their work was edited. One day I will be able to get it done, but even so, what an editor can’t do is to make the work a better read. Only the writer can do that, if that is, they have produced something worthwhile in the first place.

Here’s another URL I found when look at the site I get the days funny from …


Basically 3D pics on tee shirts; they look great.



Today’s photo …

Kile, playing on Jan’s tablet.



Today’s funny …



What do refrigeration engineers do in their spare time?
They chill out.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment