Wednesday 13 July 2016

Hatred and a yummy steak ...


13 July



Feeling very weak today again, but I think I know what is causing a lot of it. Yesterday we had planned our dinner for when Kile arrived home; however, the coach was late arriving by around 50 minutes. That’s fine, we could manage that, what we found hard was that he started vomiting as he got off the coach. By the time Jan got him home he just didn’t feel like anything to eat, and that was the problem. None of us had anything to eat apart from a small packet of Ritz crackers, nowhere near enough. Dieting is fine, but you go too far folks!



I hadn’t taken a lot of notice with the date yesterday and it didn’t twig until I saw a post from Tom on Facebook. The 12th, it’s the start of the marching season in Ulster. Tom posted vids of a couple of the marcher groups/bands. Yesterday I wrote about the hatred of racism, but there’s another angle to this, that of religious hatred, and Ulster is one of the worst place there is for it, certainly in the UK. I don’t know but I was surprised to see kids take part in marches. They looked to be happy and pleased to be there holding the ropes for the banners.



The hatred over there is about the Protestant vs Roman Catholic churches that goes back for centuries. The relevance of the 12th, is that it’s the day when the Battle Boyne took place, where the protestants, under the leadership of William of Orange were the victors – if anyone can be victorious in a battle that is. So now on July 12th very year the Prots march to rub the Papist noses in the defeat. Not that they see it like that of course. But hang on, how can the hatred be sorted out when this happens every year? Including the kids only passes on the hatred and is counterproductive. No wonder there’s so much hatred out in the world!  



At long last the penalty for animal cruelty has come up to more like a penalty in my eyes. We’ve just watched last night’s The Dog Rescuers, where two collie-cross dogs were found in a terrible condition. One had to be put to sleep, the second one took months to recover. The owner was taken to court where he was given a three month jail sentence and banned form keeping animals for life. That last one I agree with, indeed everyone who does the same should be banned for life. Sadly, the jail term was suspended, that I don’t agree with, but we are starting to take it seriously. All we need now is for things to spread across the country.  



As I’ve said before, I used to be a chef and I’ve always had an interest in cooking although I don’t tend to watch many of the TV shows. I used to like the BBC 1 show on Saturday but since the main presenter left it’s not as good. Over the years there’s been a move away from the classical cookery where there was an emphasis on rich sauces. It all seemed to move to the healthy eating thing. That’s fine, I can understand that and agree with it, up to a point! Like all things you can go too far with it, and that is what has happened. So, what is it with all the steaks being cooked in butter just now; not that I’m complaining of course. In another video the chef used loads of salt on the steak he was cooking, and that is one I’m not at all my thing; I don’t like a lot of salt. Well, I don’t have steak often enough to be worried really.



Steaks; I can’t remember when I had it, so for today’s photo …

I do remember this gammon steak I had and just how nice it was.



Today’s funny …



By the way did you hear about the St Bernard that went up a mountain in a storm to take some brandy to a climber who was lost? Well, they thought he was a goner, because he was gone for a few days, but all of a sudden he turned up again with a note round his neck. It said, 'I enjoyed the brandy very much. Can you send up the rest of the bottle?'

No comments:

Post a Comment