Thursday 21 August 2014

Ownership, rattle throwing and my untidy desk



21 August

Today is Jan’s birthday; I won’t say what her age is but she is over 18 ;-))) We will be going down to the Anker this evening for a couple of hours and we have invited a few neighbours to come and join us.

The front page of this morning’s Dorktown News is a continuation of the row between a riding school and the council over the lease of the land the school uses. The council owns the land but the school has the idea that that it can dictate to the council what has to happen about the lease. They even went to court over it and the court agreed with them that the council should negotiate a new lease with new school trustees.

As I see it, the court did not say that the council had to give a new lease, only to negotiate with the current lease holders. It seems that it’s all going back to court because they council won’t enter into negotiations. But hang on a mow … the land belongs to the council, yes? So surely as land owners, they have the right to decide if they wish to offer a new lease or not? Perhaps the council should really just give the school notice to leave the land by a given date. Job done! Until the school will go crying to mummy that the council are not playing fair simply because they can’t get their own way. ‘Let them cry’ says I.

In the current issue of Writing Magazine Simon Whaley writes about the need for a dedicated area for a writer to work in. He is lucky in that he has converted a spare room in his home for the purpose. Before we moved here into our flat I also had the back bedroom of the house as a study. It was in this room that I began to write my novels.

Simon goes on to explain that it is important to also keep your workspace clear and tidy … opps … I need to look at my writing area then! Currently I am in the corner of our living room using a computer desk we first bought around 12 years ago. We gave the desk to our son Tom in 2008 when we moved to Atherton. Just after we moved back here to Dorktown we found the same desk, complete with all labels and stickers that we used to build the thing in the first place.

Right now the desk is a real mess. I’ve changed back from a lappy to a desktop, simply because I prefer using a desktop when I do lot of writing on the ‘puter. The result is that I now have a fairly large space in front of the monitor which has slowly become cluttered. One item on there I am puzzled about is where the extra table lamp came from. I already had one of those lamps that have a green shade on here, but suddenly a black angle lamp has arrived too. That will be found a new home later today. I shall then move the tower to the shelf under the work top area; that will give me even more room to mess up and cover in junk eh? At some point I shall end happy with things as they are.

So, photo time … 

Queens Road shoppers.

And today’s funny …

We were pulling up to the hotel on our honeymoon, my new wife felt very foolish that she was on her honeymoon. She turned to me and asked, “what can we do to hide the fact that we are on our honeymoon?” I thought a second and replied, “you carry the luggage!”

No comments:

Post a Comment