Friday 22 August 2014

A bit of this, a splash of that and a toounch of the other



22 August

We had a good couple of hours down the Anker yesterday evening with two of our neighbours joining us. I did buy a rather large cake though and we brought half it back. Then I spoiled it all! As we left the pub I fancied fish and chips and went off to get some. They weren’t bad this time but by the time I had finished as much as I wanted, I was so bloated I could hardly move. As for the cake, well, everyone in the pub who wanted some, had a slice, but we still had half home. Jan has divided that between two groups who get a share today at some point.

Tomorrow we are visiting one of our neighbours who has a static caravan at Strafford on Avon. We’re both looking forward to that and to getting away for a few hours with nothing to worry or think too deeply about. It makes a change that. So right now I’m racing around today to get a few of the normal jobs done today that we normally do on Saturday. That won’t take long though I hope.

For the first time ever I’m actually having problems with using my new camera. The Nikon set up is entirely different to the Sony set up and I keep getting an error message come up when I take photos on A or S priority modes. So later this evening I shall spend some time with camera and my Nikon D5200 Digital Field Guide. It’s some field guide folks, it weights in a couple of pounds and is a rather large format. My current camera bag isn’t big enough to for me to take it out with me.  Hopefully I shall get the settings and so on sorted out then. It would be good to have it sorted by Sunday; if the weather is OK I’m thinking of taking Kile to Rutland Water to do some birding. I haven’t taken him for ages now and I know he will enjoy that, he always does.

A Casual Vacancy; It’s a wonderful Life. A new(ish) book and an old film; so what do they have in common? Basically they are about the same central theme; how one person touches and effects the lives of so many people around them. In the film George Baily is given the gift of seeing what his life has meant to so many others, and how it would have been if he hadn’t lived. In the book however, parish councillor Peter Fairbrother dies right at the start. The rest of the story is of how the other councillors and people around are affected by his death. See, there’s nowt new under the sun.

So today’s photo then … 

A Hillman Imp. I never really fancied one of these at any time. Apparently, sale of this car was banned in the USA over safety fears. Their report on it wasn’t released here in the UK until sometime after they had stopped building the car.

And today’s funny is in cartoon mode …

http://www.greatcleanjokes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/funeral1.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment