Monday 11 August 2014

High winds, delivery made and even more shop ... ... ...



11 August

And so another week begins; at least we have sunshine here at the moment, but quite a strong wind.

Amazon finally did deliver my parcel yesterday afternoon. I used Elements 12 straight away to process my first card full of images from the new camera. And it works well too, thankfully. Out of the 157 shots I’ve got around 14 worth keeping. I’m not surprised by that really. Most snappers don’t get to use the bulk of their images. That’s really one of the benefits of digital isn’t it? The cost of doing the same thing on film would huge and well outside my range on a regular basis.

Dorktown News decided that it was time to ask questions about the proposed new shopping development in the town centre seeing as the council hasn’t said anything about it for the last 10 months. Guess what? They no closer to signing a deal on it seeing as they are in ongoing talks with ‘a number of food retailers’, as they put it.

Well, I’ve been sat here thinking about who the food retails might be. We already have Asda, Co-op, Sainsburys, Lidle in the centre of town. I can’t any of those taking up the option of building a new store. And even if they so, what will happen to their current store? So who else might it be? I can think of Tesco, Morrisons, M&S, Waitrose and Aldi.

Tesco has a local shop in Stockingford and a Tesco Extra a few miles up the road in Bed’th. Would they want to draw trade away from those I wonder, especially the Bed’th store. Morrisons is a maybe perhaps, even though they have a store in Hinckley. M&S foods is perhaps worth a bet, even though they have fairly recently pulled out of the town anyway. Waitrose I can’t see moving here; they are far too expensive for Dorktowners.

Finally there’s Aldi. They have two local stores, one on the A5 a couple of miles outside the town and one on the far side of town on Kingswood Drive. This one I can see as a distinct possibility. A new store on the site being looked at would put them within a couple of hundred yards of the new Lidle store.

But hang on sec … I saw something on telly a few ago that was claiming all the big stores were cutting back on opening new buildings. Aldi and Lidle are eating away at the big names profits too much. So maybe I’m right here and Aldi will win over the others. We won’t be using it if it does!

So then, Here’s the second shot I took on me new Nikon … 

Jan in the Anker. We had called in on the way back from Currys last week and I had a ply with my new toy. It was a surprise to find that the supplied battery was fully charged, so thank you Nikon for that.

Today’s funny come courtesy of the Sage …

Everyone was seated around the table as the food was being served. When little Logan received his plate, he started eating right away.
"Logan, wait until we say our prayer," his mother reminded him.
"I don't have to," the little boy replied.
"Of course you do," his mother insisted, "we say a prayer before eating at our house."
"That's at our house," Logan explained, "but this is Grandma's house and she knows how to cook."         

No comments:

Post a Comment