Friday 29 August 2014

Kile's gone to his nans, Blackpool calls and a problem with religion



29 August

We’ve had Kile since Monday, so we weren’t surprised today when he asked if he could go back home. Sam, his mum is at work this morning so he’s off to her mum for a night. We love having him but we also love the peace and quiet when he goes back home. He was happy last night when we went down to the Anker for a couple of hours, and even happier when Jan and him went for a couple of games of pool as well. He’s back to school on Tuesday so we would have taken him home tomorrow anyway.  

Mid October is coming up soon and I’m going off for a few days on my own; but where, is the question. Blackpool really is a dump these days, but you know what; I love it up there. The idea is that I do some birding on the way up there and then go off birding during the days; that leaves me with just the evenings to find something to keep me occupied. But you know what? I’m sure I can find something to keep me going for four nights.

Some time ago I mentioned on here just how dangerous a man Putin is. It looks like I was right to think that way. There is little anyone can do to bring him into line with the norms of civilised society, let alone the legal aspects of his current actions in the Ukraine. As I pointed out before, so much for the peace dividend.

Again the other major trouble spot is in Iraq with ISIS terrorising vast area of the country. This is I suppose, part for the fall out over the toppling of Sadam Hussein and it really should have been thought through better. But there again, I don’t suppose anyone could have foreseen the rise of such a violent group as ISIS. This not a war to extend and Islamic state, oh no. It’s simply a group of young thugs working on the orders of another thug using Islam as the reason to kill, rape and torture any one they like. Add in the chance to gain personal wealth and we begin to see where it all comes from.

Of course, Islam is not the only religion to be used as an excuse to gain power and money. Christianity has done so too. Muslims will point to the Crusades; Protestants will point to the Catholic Church and its inquisition. In more recent times we had the so-called ‘Troubles’ in Ulster. Top and bottom of it all, no matter where or when it happened is down to greed for power and treasure, either acquire them or to keep hold of what they currently have.

And so to today’s photo … 

Well, it has to be a church, so how about this one … Glastonbury parish church.

And today’s funny …

Suzie was all alone. It was two months since her dear Herbie had passed, and she just couldn’t seem to move on. “Listen here Suzie”, said her good friend Barbara, “maybe you should go see a psychic? One of my friends did it after her husband died and it made her feel so much better knowing that her dearest was happy.” So that’s how, on the next Tuesday, Suzie found herself in a dim room with a crystal ball and a psychic talking in a calm voice. “Is he here?” Suzie asked. “Yes, I sense him,” was her reply. “Can you ask him if he’s happy?” Suzie hesistanly asked. “He’s putting his hand to his mouth like he wants to smoke” said the psychic. “Oh, of course” said Suzie, “he needs a cigar. Herbie can never last more then a few hours without a cigar. I guess they don’t have cigars up there. Did he say where he is or how I could get one to him?” Questioned Suzie urgently. “Hmm”, said the psychic. “I can’t seem to get that question across to him. But then again,” said the psychic after a brief pause, “he didn’t say anything about needing a lighter!”

No comments:

Post a Comment