Wednesday 13 August 2014

A day out to come, a new fashion and walking aids



14 July

The other week when I went off to Bourton for a few hours, I took and used Jan’s walker to see how I got with it. Well, I did get on with it very well, so well in fact that yesterday we bought me one too. I’m sure you will have seen a number of elderly ladies using a walker as they make their way around town. However, have you ever wondered why elderly men don’t use them?

With both of us using our walkers we headed off for a walk around the town centre and using it made things so much easier and we both enjoyed walking around together. Jan headed for Waterstones while I headed to Smudges. Instead of standing and leaning on my walking stick while browsing the magazines, I was able to sit as I did so; so much easier.

We met up outside again and headed for the Felix Holt for a pint and we entered I overheard one guy point out to a man in a wheelchair that we were both using a walker, ‘Must be a new fashion,’ said the man in the wheelchair. And so we come to why men don’t uses walkers. I have a feeling is one of those male ego things, a masculinity thing that they are weak people who need to use such things.

Well, whatever; I will be using mine a lot more now that I know I get one with it. The reason we looked at this in the first place, is that we have booked a special day out for Kile. The venue is a large place that we know he will love (I’m not saying where in case he gets to read this and it will spoil the surprise.) Mind you, I’m looking forward to the trip as well. Anyway, after ages fighting their website I finally gave up and called their help line.

I was told that we can’t use our scooters in there because it tends to be crowded and have kids running around all over the place. It’s also quite tight in there too. We could have one of their wheelchairs but they can be hard work at the best of times. Jan came up with idea of sharing her walker. Later she suggested I try hers and if it works out, we could get me one too. So now we both have one.

As we drove down into town yesterday afternoon, we went past a load of workers setting up to dig up the road across the road from The Anker. The landlord, Charlie was standing watching them and looked a wee bit worried. Later we called in for a drink on the way home and I asked him about it. It seems that on Saturday during the heavy rain, the water level was just below top the step level. I can see why he was worried now.

Well, time for a photo … 

St Nics, converted to mono in Elements 12.

And today’s funny is again from the Sage …

 Sally was driving home from one of her Business Trips in Northern Arizona when she saw an Elderly Navajo woman walking on the side of the road.
As the trip was a long and quiet one, she Stopped The car and asked the Navajo woman if she would Like a ride. With a silent nod of thanks, the woman got Into The car.
Resuming the journey, Sally tried in vain to Make A bit of small talk with the Navajo woman. The Old Woman just sat silently, looking intently At Everything she saw, studying every little detail, Until she noticed a brown bag on the seat next to Sally.
'What in bag?' asked the old woman.
 Sally looked down at the brown bag and said, 'It's A bottle of wine. I got it for my husband.'
The Navajo woman was silent for another moment Or Two. Then speaking with the quiet wisdom of an elder, She said: 'Good trade.....'

No comments:

Post a Comment