Tuesday 5 August 2014

Kile is here, the costs of booze and Jan the rescuer



5 August

We have a visitor for a few days. Kile decided he wanted to come and stop with us for a while. Pleasant surprised when he arrived here with a big smile on his face. Why he’s smiling so much I don’t know, it’s not as if we spoil him … well, not much anyway ;-)))

On Sunday I had a thought come which might be use full for a story somewhere along the line – and I did make a note of it. Here’s what I wrote, ‘Wasted time by wrapped around a drink.’ Not much is it, but after writing it I began to think more about it; and the more I thought the more it began to strike home to me. You see, at one time 12 pints a night was a quiet night for me. I have no idea how much time I wasted sitting at a bar drinking. How I was able to afford it is now beyond me. Whatever, I shall use that line at some time.

However, looking at today’s young people and the state some of them get into is worrying. Again, the financial cost must be very high, even with the cheapness of booze these days. So many time we see scenes on the telly where youngsters are totally out of it through drink. The rise in some of these people with liver failure and so on, is staggering really. It’s not just young males though is it? So many young women are getting such a state they can hardly walk. That alone is something I never used to see when I was a drinker.

Now I sit and watch all these people getting plastered and I wonder why they do it. But the thoughts don’t end there because the same question applies to me too. Why did I drink so heavily? I used to make excuses; I’ve had a bad day at work; or, it helps me sleep when I get to bed … and so on. But really there was (and is,) no excuse for it.

I proved that when I first met Jan. The next day I saw her I’d borrowed a friend’s car. Getting done for drink driving was only the surface for cutting back on the booze. What the real reason was, I had responsibility for someone else in the car with me. It didn’t take long to realise that I was feeling a lot better for not drinking. My wallet felt a bit heavier too.

At that time I was stationed in Catterick and the local town was Richmond. It’s a nice town and very photogenic with its hills, castle and river. I have loads of photos from up there, like this one … 

The River Swale as it cascades over the rocks in Richmond. (There's lots of fossiles just there too.)

And today’s funny …
 One night Paul’s wife went into labor and the doctor was called to deliver. Since there was  no electricity, the doctor handed Paul a flashlight and said, “hold this high so I can see what I’m doing.” Before long a baby girl arrived. “Wait a minute!” said the doctor. “Don’t lower the flashlight yet. I think there is another.” A moment later the doctor had delivered a second baby, this time a boy. “Hold on!” cried the doctor a third time. “There is another one coming.” “Holy cow, Doc!” said Paul as he raised the flashlight again. “You think it is the light that is attracting them?”

No comments:

Post a Comment