Friday 1 November 2013

Halloween, old shows and PC Brigade



1 November 2013

Sing something simple ... I'm sure you've seen the funny lists which start 'You know you're old when ...' Well there I was last night, just turned off the light after settling, nice and warm, when those three words and the accompanying tune came into my mind. I then remember that not only was it a song but the title of an old radio show. It didn't end there though; The Black and White Minstrel Show also came to mind. My dad used to love both shows and to honest, so did I. The result was that we always watched and listened to them when they was on. 

Of course, neither would work today what with the PC Brigade continually on the warpath. While we were in Blackpool I got involved with a conversation about old kids TV shows and I wonder how many of them would be accepted by the PC Brigade? For those who can remember, just think about them; the original Dr Who, William Hartnell and a young blonde assistant.  The current show gets away with it because the age difference isn't so great these days. How about The Sooty Show with Harry Corbet? Either Sooty or Sweep used to get pounded on the head in every show.    

Moving on slightly now, I remember another one called The Voodoo Factor, well, not really a kids show but on early on a Saturday evening. There's another one that I can't remember the name of but was about a group of astronauts finding evidence of life on the moon.  Only this week we bought a DVD called Apollo 18, supposedly the real reason why the Yanks haven't gone back to the moon; what goes around comes around I suppose.

How many of you are totally absorbed by Who Wants to be a Millionaire? This one is an updated version of the Hughie Green show Double Your Money.  Opportunity Knocks was another of his shows that was later used in an updated version on both channels. As a wise man once said, "There is nothing new under the sun!"

Today is the start of NANO.  Today is also the day we are supposed to be having Kile for the weekend; I can't see me getting much writing done over the next few days.  I shall have to work hard after he goes home on Sunday.  Sadly though, we won't be able to take him out this weekend seeing as the weather forecast is so bad.  There's still plenty of time to do that later.  We want to take him to Titchwell RSPB site, he'll love that. His mum sent Jan a photo of him dressed up for Halloween last night, he looked just great.  I'll try to get a copy to post later.

So for today you will have to make do with a photo of ... 

Jan, Lynda and Sean.

And today's funny ...

 I bought my wife a hamster-skin coat last week. We went to the fair last night - it took me 5 hours to get her off the big wheel.                            

No comments:

Post a Comment