Tuesday 19 November 2013

A nice day, footie and a bad driver!



19 November 2013

We have a really nice day here in Dorktown, nice enough to get out and have a few hours in town. But we are also waiting for a number of parcels to arrive and seeing as Jan is committed to other things, I'm here waiting. At least I should be able to get on a do a good bit of the NANO story today. That's the thing isn't it, you know, wanting to do one thing but being committed to do something else. Such is life I suppose.

Like most other areas in the UK Dorktown has a place in a local area Sunday League footie thingy; or it does at the moment! But that might not last for much longer. Most readers will know I don't have much time for footie but when three games are abandoned because of violence towards match officials and opposing players, then it's time something is done to sort it once and for all. Two referees have been punched while disciplining a player and in another an opposing player had his jaw broken and his team mates walked off the field in protest. The offenders need to be banned from playing for a very long time and maybe even the teams concerned should be banned from that league. Whatever, this is the sort of silliness that puts me off sport. The attitude of 'it's only a game', of sportsmanship, have gone out of the window now. Time to draw a veil over the whole silly saga!

As I left Cardiff on Sunday I pulled into a service area on the M4 for a pee. I sat in the car later and was drinking a bottle of fresh orange juice while I read a read of the Observer. I saw a woman walk by with her hubby and see pointed at the large poppy that Jan had stuck onto the front of the car. This woman began mouthing off at her hubby over it. I was ready to jump and find out what was going on when I more sensible voice stopped me saying, 'Ignore the silly woman. Let her rant!' So I did; but I still wonder what it was she found to get angry over.

It's bad driving rant time again folks. Driving is much more than sitting with a wheel in front of you, a few leavers and peddles to pull and push. If you that is all driving is, then you're a steering wheel attendant and not a driver. On Sunday a car crashed through the rear fence of the back garden of house while then tenants were sat having their lunch; yet there was no driver in the car! It seems that when the car was parked up the hand brake wasn't applied. Now this seems strange to me seeing as where it was parked is actually on hill; the area where it happened is called Camp Hill. What is even more strange is that the car was a police patrol car. What on earth was this officer thing of when he/she parked without the hand brake on, and even more important, left in gear so the car couldn't role away? It smacks of poor driving; at its least driving without due care and attention. I wonder what the officer will be charged with, if anything?

Dorktown local historian Peter Lee has published yet another book looking back at various areas in and around the town. This one look at three villages, Ansty, Barnacle and Shilton. Jan and I regularly drive through two of them at various times. I think it's time for me to buy and read a few of his books.

And so for a photo ... 

A shot of a couple on a ride at a small fun fair in Dorktown centre.

And funny time ...

She was standing in the kitchen, preparing our usual soft-boiled eggs and toast for breakfast, wearing only The 'T' shirt that she normally slept in. As I walked in, almost awake, she turned to me and said very Softly,
"You've got to make love to me this very very moment!"
My eyes lit up and I thought, "I am either still dreaming, or this is going to be my lucky day!"
Not wanting to lose the moment, I embraced her and then Gave it my all; right there on the kitchen table.
Afterwards she said, "Thanks," and returned to the stove, Her T-shirt still around her neck.
Very Very Happy, but still a little puzzled, I asked, "What was that all about?"
She explained, "The egg timer's broken.."
  

No comments:

Post a Comment