Friday 29 November 2013



29 November 2013

I did it ... 

My NANO effort was finished yesterday evening around 5 ish. Now I can take my time a bit and get it polished a wee bit before me old mate Bill Howe get's to read it through for me. To be honest I'd be lost without Bill. He picks up bits n bobs I would never see - so thank you Bill.

This is my second go at NANO, my first attempt was two years ago and resulted in Finding Our Way, the story of how three men have to adapt after major changes in their lives. One of three is based fairly loosely on a prat we used to know a few years ago. The list of things in the story that this person got up too is what the real prat actually did. But writing these two stories takes up so much time over November that I was wondering if it was worth the effort in doing so. Taking a day off means having to write twice as much the day after or increasing your normal daily word count to make up for it. But you know what? I have actually enjoyed writing both stories. As for next year? Well, let's just wait and see eh ;-)))

Seven local churches are opening their doors to allow ten rough sleepers to spend a night in a warm and safe place starting from this coming Sunday up till February 28 next year. This is really what the Church (note the upper case C used here), should be doing. The seven churches are all fairly close to the town centre and each church will provide the accommodation on one night a week in rotation. Jan's church, Manor Court Baptist Church is taking part. OK, fine. But I'm wondering, is each church providing their own beds and bedding or is there a central store of it that needs transporting from venue to venue? Jan doesn't know about that side of it. I hope there's no problems with that part!

On Wednesday Jan and I went for a ride out and about. One stop we made was Planter's Garden Centre, just off the A5/M42 junction. It's not a bad garden centre, I even managed to get myself two new paperback books there; makes me think of money growing on trees ;-)))  While we were there we had our usual coffee and cake thing and we shared a very nice slice of Christmas Cake. The next table over to us were two young mums who had one child each with them. One of the lads was named Dexter - Dexter, I ask you? Where the hell did she get that from! Reading today's News there's a report about a burglar who left blood traces which lead back to him. His first name? Preston. Another one I was surprised with this morning was Manning, Jonathon Maitland has lumbered his son with that one! I do wonder at time what these people are thinking of - if they are thinking that is!

Our next stop on Wednesday has provided today's photo. We stopped at the Dog Inn. The other day I posted the front of the bar; today I post the whole of the bar area ...


Funny time ...

An elderly man comes in after a good round of golf at the new course and heads straight to the bar/restaurant area of the club house. As he passes through the swinging doors, he spots a sign hanging over the bar that reads:
COLD BEER: £5.00
HAMBURGER: £10.00
CHEESEBURGER: £15.50
CHICKEN SANDWICH : £18.50
HAND JOB: £250.00
Checking his wallet to be sure he has the necessary money, the old guy walks up to the bar and beckons to the exceptionally attractive female bartender who is serving drinks to a couple of sun-wrinkled golfers.
She glides down behind the bar to the old man.
“Yes?” she inquires with a wide, knowing smile. “May I help you sir?”
The old guy leans over the bar and whispers, “I was wondering young lady, are you the one who gives the hand-jobs around here?”
She looks into his wrinkled eyes and with a wide smile purrs, “Yes, sir, I sure am.”
The old guy leans in even closer and into her left ear says softly, “Well, then, be sure to wash your hands because I want a cheeseburger.”      

No comments:

Post a Comment