Wednesday 5 December 2012

Traffic, facebook and Crimble lights



5 December 2012

Dorktown's traffic problems are big news again.  The town centre is traffic free from 10am to 4pm.  Recently there have been a few incidents where pedestrians have been close to being injured by drivers driving through the town.  As I've said before once the bollards go down at 4pm only trucks making deliveries and blue badge holders are legally allowed in there.  However, that is ignored by many drivers who just drive in, park and run off to do whatever they want.  But there is a greater danger to my mind.  There is a one way system that is still in place and a lot of drivers ignore it altogether.  Cars are regularly seen being driven the wrong way along Queens Road and Abbey Street.  These prats are a greater danger to everyone in my view.  Anyway - one town councillor is trying to get the times changed for the bollards to be lowered as well as some of them to be left in place permanently.  He has support from other councillors but is getting nowhere with the county council who won't take him seriously.  Will it take a serious injury or even a death before they do so?  Let's hope not!

How well do you know your facebook account?  This is not a daft question folks.  Last night I was looking to find out how to send a private message to one of my friends and instead found a 'hidden' mailbox.  By hidden I mean one that didn't know was there.  There were five messages in there, the latest of which was dated in December last year.  I've had a read of them; one was a con from a man in Ghana trying to con me out of cash; two others were comments about Tom Clancy books and the last two were from people who had read comments I'd made on another group I read fairly regularly.  I've responded to one of them.  So there you go - so how well do you know your facebook account?

Jan didn't go to her bible study last night, she just didn't feel up to it.  As it turned out she wasn't the only one with most of the others in the group also crying off.  The host finally cancelled it because of the low number of those attending.  We sat and caught up on some of the recorded TV programmes we have waiting to be watched.  There's also quite a few films to watch as well; which reminds me of someone on telly saying that we want to go out because a there's nowt on telly but record the things that are on so we can go out.  All a bit daft really eh?  Mind you, using out Virgin +Box is a lot easier that when we used to do the same thing with a VCR - takes up a heck of a lot space once taken up with video tapes and the +Box also records what is recorded and notes what has been watched and what is waiting to be watched.  So much easier!

The town's Crimble Lights for this year have been replaced, like I said the other day.  From the little I've seen they are all white lights, which has done away with the traditional coloured lights.  My plans for this afternoon is to go  into town and get some shots of them as it gets dark.  Of course I shall have to wait for it to get the right time - and what better way to wait then sitting in the Willy White with a beer or ten and one of my new stories to work on ;-)))

So then, for today's photo, here's a shot of some of last year's Crimble lights ...


Funny time ... 

A primary teacher starts a new job at a school on Merseyside and, trying to make a good impression on her first day, explains to her class that she is a Liverpool fan.  She asks her students to raise their hands if they, too, are Liverpool fans. Everyone in the class raises their hand except one little girl.
The teacher looks at the girl with surprise and says: "Mary, why didn't you raise your hand?"
"Because I'm not a Liverpool fan," she replied.
The teacher, still shocked, asks: "Well, if you're not a Liverpool fan, then who are you a fan of?"
"I'm a Manchester United fan, and proud of it," Mary replied.
The teacher could not believe her ears. "Mary, why are you a United fan?"
"Because my mum and dad are from Manchester, and my mum is a United fan and my dad is a United fan, so I'm a United fan too!"
"Well," said the teacher, in an annoyed tone, "that's no reason for you to be a United fan. You don't have to be just like your parents all of the time.  What if your mum was a prostitute and your dad was a drug addict and car thief, what would you be then?"
"Then," Mary smiled, "I'd be a Liverpool fan."     

No comments:

Post a Comment