Saturday 29 December 2012

Jan's progress, New Year's Honours and the The Hobbit Begins



29 December 2012

Jan in making slow progress at the moment.  The antibiotics are working now she has a decent amount running through her system.  Hopefully she will be well enough to go to Lynda in two weeks time.  She is really looking forward to it now, especially after having had to put it off a week.

At last the BEEB has got the weather right!  Rain and gusting high winds here in Dorktown.  Good job I have no plans for going out for a few days eh ;-)))   

Last night I finished Michael Creighton's book Airframe.  I'm rather surprised with it really.  I've read a number of his books in the past and enjoyed them - until the end that is!  I've always found the endings of his books to be  weak and insipid.  The story lines all the way through them have been good and strong and moved along well.  The endings however seemed to be rushed and not very satisfying.  But Airframe was good all the way through with a clear cut ending wrapping it all up nicely.  I shall now start on The Hobbit I bought yesterday.

It's that time of year again when so called ordinary people get rewarded for doing what they do.  Major awards have been given to the two Olympics teams that did so well in London.  OK, they have done well and deserve to be recognised in some way; but Cherie Blair?  Come on ... ... ...

And good news about the 6 year old girl who has arrived back in the UK after spending three years in Pakistan when her father had abducted her and took her there.  This sort of thing happens fairly regularly you know but not so much is made of it.  Perhaps people are afraid of being called racist anti-Islamic.  And I have to be honest here and say, "Me too."  Why?  Well there's a practice within the Muslim community which is causing havoc throughout the NHS.  There are a lot of marriages between cousins within Muslim families.  That's fine and acceptable.  But when their kids go on to marry cousins too, then we begin to see the problems come about.  The family who lived next door to us in our old place had a granddaughter who is severely mentally disabled.  There is at least one more child in the family who is as badly affected as the girl.  How many more are there throughout the UK with the same issue?

Am I racist?  No.  Am I anti-Islamic?  No.  I am however concerned about just how much is this costing the NHS and local Social Services?  And all because of an issue that can be rectified for the future but the people concerned is will not accept there is a problem.  Acceptance of a problem is the first step to sorting it all out.

Do you remember Bernard Cribbins?  I do and I liked his work on telly and in films.  Anyway, he's 84 today - so happy birthday Bernard.  Also on this day, in 1170 one of our historic expressions was brought to light.  "Who will rid me of this meddlesome priest," (http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/becket.htm  accessed 1030hrs, 29/12/2012) muttered Henry II.  The result was four night set out and murdered Thomas a Becket in Canterbury Cathedral. 

I have no photos of Canterbury I'm afraid but I do have this ... 

the entrance to York Minster.

And a funny for today ...

So there they all where all the kids of year 6 having their first sex education lesson, the teacher puts up a diagram of the male human body up and starts to ask questions. "And can anybody tell me what this is called " asked the teacher pointing to the graphic picture.
"Its a penis miss" shouts little arthur at the front.
Next thing a hand goes up at the back of the class, "Yes Johnny can I help you?" asks the teacher.
"Err ... yea miss my dad's got two of them." says Johnny with a smirk on his face.
"How do you know that?" asked the teacher.
Coz I've seen 'em little Johnny then opens up his finger and thumb to measure out and says, "yea he's got one about this big which he uses for weeing."  Then opening up his finger and thumb he says, "And he's got one even bigger what my mum uses to clean her teeth!"

No comments:

Post a Comment