Thursday 13 December 2012

Road transport, a fire and Ebay



13 December 2012

Dorktown is pretty well served when it comes to road transport links.  Four miles one way and you're on the M6; four miles another way and you're on the M69 and onto the M1; the A5 is only two miles from the town centre; the A47 from Brum right through to Norwich runs through the town centre, as does the A444.  There is downside to all this though.  The M6 was closed yesterday because of a truck fire and traffic was diverted with a good deal of it coming through the town centre.  Fortunately it doesn't happen too often but when it does the town gets snarled up pretty badly for hours on end.  However, no matter what the News claims this morning, I didn't see all that much of it when I went into town yesterday.

Another downside of the fire was the amount of tenders that attended the incident.  Both tenders from Dorktown were there, the one from Bed'th and more from just up the road in Atherstone.  I wonder where the cover would be coming from if there had been a fire here in town at the same time.  Fire service chiefs keep saying the cuts won't affect safety, but incidents like yesterday's make me wonder just how safe the cuts really are!

I was playing with my Sony Reader yesterday and I found that the files on there that are Adobe Reader files can be 'read' for me by the latest version of the software.  That could be helpful when I come to proof read my writing when I'm ready for it.  We had bought a copy of Read & Write Gold 8.1 to do the same job.  I loaded it but it but it wouldn't open.  So I looked on the 'net and found out that version 8.1 is not compatible with Windows 7.  There was no mention of that on the EBay ad so Jan got in touch with the seller and we heard nothing back from her.  She now has yet another negative feedback mark.  I wonder how long it takes them to learn to deal with complaints properly?

And it's now photo time ... 

a strange pair of shoes - good job it didn't rain eh ;-)))          

And today's funny is ...

Mildred was a 93 year old woman who was particularly despondent  after the recent death of her husband Earl. she decided just to kill herself and join him in death.
thinking it would be best to get it over with quickly she took out earls old army pistol and made the decision to shoot herself in the heart since it was so badly broken anyway. not wanting to miss this vital organ she rang her doctors office to inquire as to exactly where the heart would be.
"on a woman" the doctor explained "the heart would be just below the left breast".
later that evening Mildred was admitted the hospital with a gunshot to the left knee........

No comments:

Post a Comment