Friday 21 December 2012

Is it today, we no longer have a house and the scooter repair



21 December 2012

Today's the day if it is going to happen, but I have a feeling that not many folk are even thinking about the end of the world.  I can't say as I'm surprised by that.  There have been so many such predictions that few do take notice of them.  And as I said the other day, "What can we do about it if does happen?"  There's nowt we can do is there.  So most folk just get on with life.

According to the News this morning a 72 year old man has had his sentence for child sex abuse and rape increased from eight to eleven years with a recommendation that he serves a minimum of two-thirds of his sentence.  His earliest release date should now be 2020.  But will he live that long?  That is debatable!

Jan went out yesterday and had to drive along Bracebridge Street at one time.  As she drove by she saw the house buyer going into the house.  This morning I had letters from both the legal team and the estate agents to confirm it's all over and done with ... at long last!  Because of that and the funds now in mother's bank account, we have to arrange a standing order with the care home for just over £1600 per month.  The sooner we get that done the better as far as I am concerned.   

The engineer arrived around 11.30 and sorted the scooter out for me.  The problem was fairly simple really if you know what to look for.  Now I do know and I can hopefully deal with it myself if it happens again.  Top and bottom of it was that a screwed in cap on the hydraulics had worked loose and needed tightening.  Like I said, now I know I should be able to sort myself if it does go again.  The hope of course is that it won't happen again.  We were hoping to go into town today for a run out on our scooters but we don't really need to go out at all and we were only going for the sake of it. 

I suppose I shall have to find a photo now eh?  How about this one then ... 

not Crimble lights this one but Walsall Lights which we went to see in 2002.  It was taken with a Fujifilm FinePix 2800 and considering the limitations of the camera, it's not a bad image at all.  I have wondered if the Walsall lights still happen; I shall try to find out for next year.  Our current Sony Alphas will hopefully do a much better job of them.

And no funny for today, just something that Jan found that we should all take notice of ...

Cranky Old Man

What do you see nurses? . . .. . .What do you see?
What are you thinking .. . when you're looking at me?
A cranky old man, . . . . . .not very wise,
Uncertain of habit .. . . . . . . .. with faraway eyes?
Who dribbles his food .. . ... . . and makes no reply.
When you say in a loud voice . .'I do wish you'd try!'
Who seems not to notice . . .the things that you do.
And forever is losing . . . . . .. . . A sock or shoe?
Who, resisting or not . . . ... lets you do as you will,
With bathing and feeding . . . .The long day to fill?
Is that what you're thinking?. .Is that what you see?
Then open your eyes, nurse .you're not looking at me.
I'll tell you who I am . . . . .. As I sit here so still,
As I do at your bidding, .. . . . as I eat at your will.
I'm a small child of Ten . .with a father and mother,
Brothers and sisters .. . . .. . who love one another
A young boy of Sixteen . . . .. with wings on his feet
Dreaming that soon now . . .. . . a lover he'll meet.
A groom soon at Twenty . . . ..my heart gives a leap.
Remembering, the vows .. .. .that I promised to keep.
At Twenty-Five, now . . . . .I have young of my own.
Who need me to guide . . . And a secure happy home.
A man of Thirty . .. . . . . My young now grown fast,
Bound to each other . . .. With ties that should last.
At Forty, my young sons .. .have grown and are gone,
But my woman is beside me . . to see I don't mourn.
At Fifty, once more, .. ...Babies play 'round my knee,
Again, we know children . . . . My loved one and me.
Dark days are upon me . . . . My wife is now dead.
I look at the future ... . . . . I shudder with dread.
For my young are all rearing .. . . young of their own.
And I think of the years . . . And the love that I've known.
I'm now an old man . . . . . . .. and nature is cruel.
It's jest to make old age . . . . . . . look like a fool.
The body, it crumbles .. .. . grace and vigour, depart.
There is now a stone . . . where I once had a heart.
But inside this old carcass . A young man still dwells,
And now and again . . . . . my battered heart swells
I remember the joys . . . . .. . I remember the pain.
And I'm loving and living . . . . . . . life over again.
I think of the years, all too few . . .. gone too fast.
And accept the stark fact . . . that nothing can last.
So open your eyes, people .. . . . .. . . open and see.
Not a cranky old man .
Look closer . . . . see .. .. . .. .... . ME!!

Remember this poem when you next meet an older person who you might brush aside without looking at the young soul within. We will all, one day, be there, too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment