Wednesday 19 December 2012

THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH!!!



19 December 2012

THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH!!!  Or at least it is if you accept what the Mayan calendar says.  There has been so many of these warnings that have turned out to be false that I think most folks just laugh and carry on as normal.  That's myself and Jan are doing anyway.  Thing is, there are so many ways for the world to end aren't there?  Let's have a bit of fun and look at some of them.

A super volcano will blow it's top and the resulting ash cloud will kill all life on the planet.  Hmmm, some life survived when Tamboa blew up!

A meteor will hit and kill all life from the resulting fires and again, ash cloud blocking the sun.  Sixty five million years ago when the one that hit in what is now the Caribbean Sea area didn't do that, life found a way didn't it?

An invasion from space as in Independence Day.  That's my favourite one!  But there again I have always loved scifi stories.  I remember seeing a cartoon in Punch years ago along these lines.  It showed two two-legged aliens standing beside their space ship making a big speech about how bad we humans are and how good we could be if we buried all our petty little squabbles and became one large people of one mind.  Then one said something like, "Then you can join the biped union and help us wipe out the hated tripeds!"  I thought it was great at the time.  I really do wish I had kept that one.  

Another film The Day After Tomorrow bringing a new ice age.  Again, life found a way after the last one 11,000 odd years ago didn't it.

Oh yes, and don't forget the super plague of some sort.  The Daddy of them all is George Stewart's Earth Abides with many imitations of it.  But there again, we have Dustin Hoffman in a large glass case with large sign beside it saying "Break in Case of Emergency!"

There are so many of these that I forget most of them but what they have in common (apart from daftness), is that none of them will happen in just one day.  The effect is supposed to happened over weeks or maybe months.  The question is of course, "What can we do about them?"  The answer is, "Nowt!  There's nothing we can do."  So why worry about it?  I'm not!

Today's photo is of a plan I saw on approach to Coventry Airport on Sunday morning ...

And now for a funny ...
 There's an Englishman, Irishman, and Scotsman all talking about their teenage daughters.
The Englishman says: " I was cleaning my daughter's room the other day & I found a packet of cigarettes. I was really shocked as I didn't even know she smokes!

The Scotsman says: "That's nothing. I was cleaning my daughter's room the other days when I found a half full bottle of Vodka. I was really shocked as I didn't even know she drank!"

With that the Irishman says: "Both of you have got nothing to worry about. I was cleaning my daughter's room the other day when I found a packet of condoms. I was really shocked. I didn't even know she had a willy!"          

No comments:

Post a Comment