Tuesday 18 December 2012

More planning woes, house sale, and six more days



18 December 2012

The front page headline from today's News reads, "Yet More New Homes Shock".  The same developer who wants to build 326 new homes on land that flooded a few weeks ago, has plans for another 400 new homes within the Weddington area of the town.  That means yet more green field lost to the town.  Like before the developer Hallam Land Management, is saying very little and is trying to get the plans through without talking to the local people about their plans.  The loss of yet more green field land is of course a big concern to us all but for me that is not the main worry.  No, for me the major concern is the lack of public consultation is the major issue.  It isn't helped by there not being a so-called Borough Plan; that would help bring a lot in these sort of issues.  The sooner we get one the better.

I had a phone call yesterday from the our legal team.  The house sale contracts have been exchanged and the deposit has been paid.  Full completion will happen tomorrow with the funds being in mothers bank account and it will all be over and done with.  It can't come quick enough for us, it really can't.  We are both very pleased that this only happening once; I'm positive I don't want to go through it all again and I know Jan wouldn't want to either.  Moving home is stressful enough, moving home and selling one is far more stressful!  Once is enough for us!

Well folks - you have six more days to get your shopping done.  Jan drove into town yesterday and the traffic and parking was horrendous.  She's off again today and it can only get worse.  I shall be off into town tomorrow afternoon but I shall be using Jan's scooter - mine is still out of action.  I phoned the company yesterday about coming out to do mine and I have to say that I am not very impressed with them.  Added to which they when I asked the British Legion to phone them they lied through their black curly teeth!  Yesterday I was ready to tell them to take it back and we would share the one scooter.  Common sense prevailed however.

Today's photo is one I got in Watford on Sunday where I paid £3.90 for a pint of lager ... 

A stinging wasp seems very apt to me!

And a funny ...

A good looking man walked into an agent's office in Hollywood and said, "I want to be a movie star."  Tall, handsome and with experience on Broadway, he had the right credentials.
The agent asked, "What's your name?"
The guy said, "My name is Penis van Lesbian."
The agent said, "Sir, I hate to tell you, but in order to get into Hollywood, you are going to have to change your name."
"I will NOT change my name! The van Lesbian name is centuries old, I will not disrespect my grandfather by changing my name. Not ever."
The agent said, "Sir, I have worked in Hollywood for years... you will NEVER go far in Hollywood with a name like Penis van Lesbian! I'm telling you, you will HAVE TO change your name or I will not be able to represent you.
"So be it! I guess we will not do business together, "the guy said and he left the agent's office.
FIVE YEARS LATER.....
The agent opens an envelope sent to his office. Inside the envelope is a letter and a cheque for $50,000. The agent is awe-struck, who would possibly send him $50,000?
He reads the letter enclosed:
"Dear sir,
Five years ago, I came into your office wanting to become an actor in Hollywood. You told me I needed to change my name. Determined to make it with my God-given birth name, I refused. You told me I would never make it in Hollywood with a name like Penis van Lesbian. After I left your office, I thought about what you said. I decided you were right. I had to change my name. I had too much pride to return to your office, so I signed with another agent. I would never have made it without changing my name, so the enclosed cheque is a token of my appreciation.
Thank you for your advice.
Sincerely,

Dick van Dyke"

No comments:

Post a Comment