Friday 28 December 2012

Stormy waether, shopping and new record set



28 December 2012

I'm running well late today.  The reason is that I have been recording The Lord of the Rings on telly the last few days.  After watching The Twin Towers this morning I had to get ready to go out and get some shopping done.  Jan called sent me a text 2012to say she was off to bed for a couple of hours.  That allowed me to take my time while I was out.  In fact, I stopped off at the Anchor for a couple of pints of John Smiths bitter - very nice too.  I arrived back just after Jan had got up.

So how is Jan?  Well, she is still ill but I can see a small improvement; her voice is slightly stronger although her throat is still very sore.  We're both hoping that it won't be long before we begin to see a real overall improvement.

During the 1970's I sat and read The Hobbit and really enjoyed it.  Around 15 years ago I bought it again to give it another go.  After a couple of pages I gave up thinking, "What on earth did I see in this crap!"  Well, I've just bought it again and will give it a go soon.  I've always been a bit put off Lord of the Rings by its sheer size.  As we were sorting through all the crap that Dave left we came across a boxed set of them but I did nothing with them and gave them to the PDSA charity shop.  Now of course I wish had a kept them.        

So this year according the Maily Dale has been the wettest year in England since records began.  It seems we only need another 2" of rain for it to be the wettest year for the UK since records began.  Yankydoddledandyland is also seeing massive amounts of inclement weather.  When will they decide to do something about it.  For that matter, when will the UK start to do something about?

I'm sat here looking at me A77 - and I still haven't managed to get and use it properly.  I'll be rather pleased when I can do so. It is supposed to be weather resistant but I'm not willing to give it a go just yet.  It might be OK if rains while I'm out but there is no way I am taking it out in the rain for the sake of it.  BBC News 24 weather man says the rain will continue for some days yet and winds will pick up to storm force too.  Time to stay in methinks ... ... ...

And a photo for today ...  With storms winds forecast, how about a bit of ruffers (an old sailor term for rough seas) ...

Can't remember where I got this from or which camera did the deed.        

And for a funny, how about ...

A priest in a small Irish village loved the chickens that he kept in the
coop behind the church.  One Sunday morning, before mass, he went to feed the birds and discovered that the cock was missing. He knew about the cock fights in the village, so he decided to question his parishioners in the church.
During mass, he asked his congregation, "Has anybody got a cock?"  All the men stood up.
"No, no, that wasn't what I meant. Has anybody seen a cock?" All the women stood up.
"No, no, that wasn't what I meant either. Has anybody seen a cock that
Doesn't belong to them?"  Half the women stood up!
"No, no, no. That wasn't what I meant. What I really mean is, has anybody
seen MY cock?"
Sixteen altar boys, two priests and a goat stood up.

No comments:

Post a Comment