Saturday 21 February 2015

Speaking ill of the dead, photo-fests and got greedy again



21 February

We are really pushing out the boat for dinner tonight; Jan is going to do one of her pans of … porridge. You may be wonder why we are having such a complicated meal, well, put simply, I fancy it! You see, yesterday I pigged out a good deal and it didn’t do me any good at all. I got up for pee at 4am and within minutes I thought I was going to throw up, I didn’t, but it took some time to ease off and I able to drop off again. The other thing is that I have put back on the weight I lost last month. Remembering what I pigged out on yesterday, I’m not at all surprised. A bowl of porridge will set me off again.

Last evening instead of continuing on with The Twin Towers, I finished off my NPhoto mag. This morning my AP arrived and I’ve started reading that now. As usual there is a mix of first rate images and in depth articles and reviews. But there is also a piece about the Format International Photography Festival. I’ve not heard of this Derby based photo-fest before, even if it is its tenth year of being run. Derby is also a city that I haven’t been to for a long time, so maybe I’ll give this one a go this year. There’s also one coming up at the NEC next month too. The Photography Show has replaced the Focus on Imaging that used to run every year. This one is on from 21-24 March (http://www.photographyshow.com/). We went to the predecessor a few times so we may well give this one a go too.

Jan took a phone call at around 9.20 last night. We were a bit edgy about answering it at that time of night, but Jan did so. It was from a deacon of the church she goes to, who had called to let her know that one of members was in hospital and after a four operations, all her obs crashed through the floor and her family had been called to her bedside. Not a good sign that. Anyway, this morning she seems to have bounced back. The thing is, even we have known this woman for many years, she is, or was, very much Jan’s friend not mine. I won’t say what I really thought of her but I will say that she caused a lot of trouble when we knew before Jan went back to Manor Court Baptist Church.

I’m saying this now while she is alive, just in case she does die soon. But it makes me wonder why we seem to think it’s wrong to speak ill of the dead. Or is it that some dead people can be spoken ill about, while others can’t. I once knew a man who was a total waste of space, even his family didn’t get on with, or have anything to do with him. When he died however, they were falling over each to give him the highest praise. It all seems wrong to me for some reason.

So today’s photo then … 

Another selfie taken through the reflection of new, New Street Station.

Today’s funny …

Having erroneously reported that the publisher of a rival local newspaper had died, we were forced to write a retraction that read, “we regret that the notice of Mr. Davis’s death was in error…”

No comments:

Post a Comment