Monday 2 February 2015

A new car soon, the NHS again and the bones of a story ...



2 February

Jan has finally had the word that her new car will be ready for her on Valentine’s Day. Not too bad I suppose seeing as it should have been before Crimble. The excuse the dealer made was that there only two ferries that import cars from Europe, and of course, one was lying on its side. As an excuse I suppose it holds up a wee bit.

Last night Jan answered the phone and it was our son Tom, again. It was a surprise and a relief that he didn’t actually need anything. No, one of his friends had visited him and was looking for advice on a Motability car with a large boot space. She has advised the Zafira, mainly because its advance payment is the lowest of all the larger cars. That would also put the Doblo off his list too, but even so, we wouldn’t advise anyone to get one. We made the mistake of getting the petrol version for my current Doblo, and believe me, it is a mistake we won’t be making again!

Sometime ago I bought the 50mm f1.8 lens that I mentioned yesterday. I later found out that it is actually an older version of the lens and will only work on fully manual on my Nikon. I had a play with it last night I finally worked how to get it all working. So now I’m ready to go with it. The downside is that it will only on f22, which is a pity. I keep getting an error message if I take it off that, so I’m going to be a bit limited with it I think. The other issue I’m having with it is the B&W setting. I can set it and then press OK and then I get a graph to set up some sort of submenu thing. Not sure what that is all, so maybe I’ll shoot in colour and convert to B&W in Elements 12.

The headline in today’s News is that Hussy has to save £1,000.000 in just two months. Oh dear, here we go again … On Facebook the question was raised to whether the NHS should be given an increase in funding. Various claims are being made about extra funding not getting into patient care, about cutting back on backroom staff and so on. Yet the underlying problems is a growing and ageing population that all need caring for. There has to be an increase in funding just to cover all add people. I’ve said it before that if we want a NHS for everyone, then we the tax payers will have to fund it. And we should shut up and get with it!

I have to say that I am fed up with the May election already, and it will only get worse the closer we get. The more I see of them on telly, the more I change channels or go for a wee until they have gone. This is one time when I really do wish to be able to hibernate until the result is in.

Actually, that reminds me of a sci-fi story I read years ago. The basis is that very rich and unpopular man has a disease that can’t be cured, so he is put into hibernation until it can be cured. Every year and group of new board members from the general public. At the first of the meeting with the new members is held, those newbies are informed of how things were at that time. The man has now been in hibernation for over a thousand years. During that time his company has grown and grown and now it actually owns the world. If the newbies wish it, even just one of them, then the board will bring out of his sleep and cure his illness. However, they are brought to see how that could affect the whole world. So they are asked, ‘Do we wake or not?’ And is where the story ended; and that is how I am going to end it too.

Photo Time … 

A sloth in the hothouse in Leamington Spa gardens.

And today’s funny …

Brian was pulled over for speeding, and as the cop approached his car, he noticed lighter fluid, matches, and torches, all in the passenger seat right next to him. “Sir,” said the cop, motioning to the paraphernalia. “Can I ask why you have that stuff in the car? ” “Well officer,” said Brian, “it’s quite simple, I’m a juggler in a circus and this is my equipment!” The cop, clearly not believing him, insisted that he come over to the side of the road and juggle the torches so he can see if his story was indeed true. Just then an elderly couple cruised by and the old man turned to his wife, “Suzie, am I glad I finally gave up drinking! Can you believe the drinking test they are giving now?!”

No comments:

Post a Comment