Sunday 1 November 2015

Lots of books and chicken for dinnr



1 November

 Sunday today, just in case you didn’t know. What are you having for dinner then? We will be having chicken, but not the usual roast chicken though; no, I saw something on telly yesterday morning cooked by Mary Berry, which we liked the look of. Basically I shall cut chicken breasts into chunks along with onion, potatoes and carrots. Place the lot in a large polly bag, add seasoning and a little oil, toss the lot together in the bag. Then put the lot in the oven until cooked. Looked great, even if Mary used sausage and not chicken, but that won’t matter for us.

Any more Harry Potter folks? Well, I think there might be at some time, even if Rowling keeps saying there won’t be. Where I get this idea? From the pen of the writer herself actually. I’m coming to end of my second reading of the full set but I noticed on page 601 (of my edition, these words attributed to Dumbledore. ‘Dumbledore said, to fight, and to fight again. and keep fighting, for only then will evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated …’

It seems to me that those words are there for the sole purpose of allowing Rowling to bring Harry Potter back to fight those followers of Vollie who were not arrested and jailed after the Battle of Hogwarts. Not enough evidence? How about this then? Potter wanted to become an auor and in later writing on the Pottermore site, claim that after he defeated Vollie, he did become one? The role of the auors was to root out dark arts, yes? So if there were no more dark wizards/witches, then why were auors still needed? Got me thinking anyway … … …

You probably haven’t met Fred Cooper yet, and you are unlikely to either seeing as Fred is a figment of my imagination who came into life in House of Pain my first novel. Cooper is based in Cambridge, although the story line moves between here in Dorktown and north to Richmond in N Yorks. He crops up again in the follow up, Web of Hate which is a murder/drug/police corruption story, with part of the story happening in Peterborough. Right now I am reading a book by Chip Walker, another ex-army chef about a mysterious series of deaths in the fair city of Peterborough.

I was a bit surprised when found that out, but why not, there’s a lot of writers out there and there are more than one city to have writers living in them. Edinburgh has Ian Rankin and Ed James, both writing crime fiction based in the city. Both base their stories in the city and I personally like both writers. Don’t forget the J K Rowling lives there too. Using her other name of Robert Galbriath, she writes crime story’s, but basses them in London. Perhaps she feels that Edinburgh has enough fictional crime fighters. Oh yes, I like those books too.

Today’s photo … 

If only … … …

Today’s funny is the last I have from the Sage …

A golfer is in a competitive match with a friend, who is ahead by a
couple of strokes.
"Boy, I'd give anything to sink this putt", the golfer mumbles to himself.
Just then, a stranger walks up beside him and whispers, "Would you be willing to give up a quarter of your sex life to sink the putt?"

Thinking the man is crazy and his answer will be meaningless, the golfer also feels that maybe this is a good omen, so he says, "Sounds good to me," - and promptly sinks the putt!
Two holes later, he mumbles to himself again, "Gosh, I wish I could get an eagle on this one."
The same stranger is suddenly at his side again and whispers, "Would it be worth giving up another quarter of your sex life to make an eagle?
Shrugging, the golfer replies, "Okay." And, amazingly, he makes the eagle.
On the final hole, the golfer needs another eagle to win. Without waiting for him to say anything, the stranger quickly moves to his side and says, "Would winning this match be worth giving up the rest of your sex life?"
"Definitely," the golfer replies, and, sure enough, he makes the eagle - and wins the match.
As the golfer is walking to the club house, the stranger walks along beside him and says, "I haven't really been fair with you because you don't know who I am. I'm Satan, and from this day forward you really will have no sex life at all."
"Nice to meet you," the golfer replies. "I'm Father O'Malley."           

No comments:

Post a Comment