Wednesday 18 November 2015

25%, what can the other 75% do I wonder?



18 November

Cell! I’m going to start here again this morning, simply because I came to a part of novel that has partly shown me where King is going with it. From what I see the main premise is that we humans only use about 25% of our brains. As it happens, a few years ago I began a story that used that same 25% as its staring point. Nothing has been done to it for a long time; I got a bit lost with it so left it and moved onto something else. So thank you Mr King for giving me a boot up the backside with your work.

I actually have a number of such unfinished works, my new Fred Cooper is one of them. It was intended to be #3 of a series but again, I got lost with it. Now I know that it really does need a major rewrite to bring back on track. Basically though the story line is very weak and wishy-washy and needs tidying and tightening up. Another one is DI Marty Jayne novel, based firmly here in Dorktown that I am part way through. There’s another one, again based here abouts, partly a murder story and partly a ghost story. I have a feeling that Marty might come into that one too.

I sat reading of a murder investigation in the Dorktown News some time ago and I had another story line come to mind. What came of it is a major car crash with two deaths and the follow up investigation that finds a major regional drug supply ring. And then there’s … … … Far too many to try to list really. These ones are the major on-going, but stalled works.

As regular readers will know I am dead set against all the Americanisms that are finding their way into our language over the last few years. Well, on BBC Midlands Today last night I heard of one of the worst such invaders; ‘closure’, this time in respect of a missing Coventry woman, missing now for 25 years. Oh dear, that can never really happen can it? No matter where it is used there will always be thoughts of about what happened to her and why. If anything untoward has happened to her, if and when a culprit is found and perhaps jailed, those thought will still remain unanswered, leaving her family to grieve over her loss.

Another one I took an immediate hatred for when I heard a Yank speaking on telly some years ago. She wanted to move away from giving someone a present but to ‘gift’ them. Ye Gods! What are these people eating and drinking? Whatever it is I don’t want it if it’s likely to turn me into word making idiot! And what about K9 when they are talking about a dog, especially a working dog? What’s wrong with the word dog? That’s one I saw somewhere locally about working dogs, but I can’t remember where and how. I just remember being pissed off about it. Thank God for the Guide Dogs for the Blind for not changing the name to fit in with more crap from across the pond.

Oh listen, it’s quiet at last. (Yes I know you can’t hear anything here – just try to imagine it.) The reason for that is that sparky out the front hall has finally stopped drilling holes in our outside wall. There’s working going on next door and they need to run a new earthing cable but because of the stairs it means they have to run the trunking for it along our wall. The sooner they are finished over there the better for us. I don’t know how Roy is getting with it all going on around him. That issue and the storage problems for three weeks is why we cancelled having our kitchen done.

And so to today’s photo … 

Steps in Brum leading up to part of the Bullring complex.

Today’s funny …
Lady 1: "Why is your husband so punctual when returning home from work?"
Lady 2: "I made a simple rule: sex will begin at 9pm sharp, whether he is there or not."  

No comments:

Post a Comment