Monday 23 November 2015

Grounded again



23 November

Every so often our friendly Sage sends us a few funnies which end up being posted on here. I have another friend who keeps me firmly anchored to terra firma, and yesterday he sent me an email in his latest pull on the anchor cable. The reason this time was my rant about Americanisms the other day. Basically he actually agrees with me on how many of them are creeping in and changing our English, in particular about the term K9. He quotes old Billy Wobblypointystick for us on this one … 

Ay, in the catalogue ye go for men,
As hounds and greyhounds, mongrels, spaniels, curs,
Shoughs, water-rugs, and demi-wolves are clept
All by the name of dogs. The valued file
Distinguishes the swift, the slow, the subtle,
The housekeeper, the hunter, every one
According to the gift which bounteous nature
Hath in him closed, whereby he does receive
Particular addition, from the bill
That writes them all alike. And so of men.
Now, if you have a station in the file,
Not i' th' worst rank of manhood, say ’t,
Macbeth Act 3 Scene 1

And last night I finally finished Cell and was left wondering about the ending and what comes next. I have a partly written story based on the idea that we only use a low percentage of our brains. The rope puller has sent me another source which debunks that idea, complete with a link to it …

"It turns out though, that we use virtually every part of the brain, and that [most of] the brain is active almost all the time. Let's put it this way: the brain represents three percent of the body's weight and uses 20 percent of the body's energy." - Neurologist Barry Gordon of Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Scientific American
 As usual I thank the rope puller for keeping me grounded, but that doesn’t mean I shall scrap my Happyman story, oh no, too much has gone into it to do that.

Kile went back yesterday evening as happy as normal. That didn’t surprise us really, he usually does. But last week we bought three new DVDs, additions to series which we like, but mainly because Kile likes them too. First up was Tremors 5, with Burt Gummer going to Africa to fight his hated Graboids, which have mutated yet again; his dad liked those ones too. Jan and I thought that Burt was looking more than a little for racing around now and perhaps it’s time he retired. Next one was San Andreas, like as in the California fault line totally unzipping. It stars The Rock, so that says enough really.

The last was the latest version of Jurassic Park, Jurassic World. There two new dinos and the usual collection of weirdo-baddies who get their comeuppance, including the only character from original film, Henry, played by the same guy who played Ruffio in Hook. Kile said there is supposed to be a whole new series being planned along the same lines. We shall see.
Of course with Kile being here I didn’t get any typing up or writing done – nowt to do with the DVDs of course. Well, come on, I can’t blame myself for being a lazy sod can I?         

BBC News shows our prime muppet is in Belgium speaking to their prime muppet about the Paris attacks ten days ago. In the same bulletin we learn that the UK is buying a lot of new airplanes off the USA, some of which are to replace those smashed up Nimrod replacements that were scrapped weeks, if not days after the took power. There’s to be two new fast reaction brigades with new kit, but it seems there will not be any new soldiers to use it.

It seems to me that they are about to waste another £12 billion over the next ten years. Where is the money going to come from I wonder? More cuts to education, health and welfare I suppose. But what of Trident, and of course HS2? I bet they go ahead, if for no other reason, they won’t admit that they made an error in judgement about them in the first place. They have taken Labour pipedreams and are ploughing ahead with them simply because of pride. I wonder if HS2 was dreamt up in the first place because they knew that the Tories would latch onto them and take on without really thinking them through properly?

 Jan was rather cold in bed last night, yet for once I was nice and warm. It’s normally t’ther way about. She was also cold when she came through here first thing, and I was warm. Right now she is busy doing bits with here bonsai thingies, but getting ready to start she became over warm and turned on her air blower. Now she is cooled down and I’m sat here with my cardi zipped up but still cold hands, even though the blower is now off. No, I’m wearing gloves, have you tried typing with cloves on? Not very good …

Today’s photo is … 

A dino at Bourton.

Today’s funny …

 My friend thinks he is smart. He told me an onion is the only food that makes you cry, so I threw a coconut at his face.            

No comments:

Post a Comment