Thursday 25 June 2015

That's life I suppose



25 June

Yesterday was a pretty bad day for me. A lot more bruising has come out after the fall last week, with the scrape on my knee has turned a wee bit funny and I’ve now got a dressing on it. I’m hurting a good deal more now too. Add to that bad night I had on Tuesday night, and all works out to being a bad day.

We shall be very pleased when all the work outside is finished. After all this time there is very little sign of any progress, well, after a fashion that is. When things happen there is a flurry of activity and then everything goes quiet again. We had thought they had finished above us, but there’s a crew up there again doing something. And the place is dark with all the scaffolding and planks all over the place.

There seems to be no method in their working either. Some parts of the block that haven’t even got scaffolding over it. The front of our part of the block hasn’t had the tiles removed yet, but they have done the front and side of it. The other day I took the recycling stuff to the bin and I saw the pebble dashed finished on the small block close by, and it looks pretty good really. I should think we are all looking forward to the job being over and done with!

Something I have noticed about me blog and Wednesday, is that I get hundreds of views on a Wednesday. I’m not complaining about that of course, but I do wonder why so many read it on that one day. If I could work that out, I could perhaps then increase my hit rate by a heck of a lot.  

Anyway, I’ve just had a look at Facebook and one of the groups I subscribe to is the one for Army Catering Corps veterans. It’s a useful place for finding out what happened to old friends and so on. There are dangers in such a site though. One of people on there has been speaking about the way Nation Service men were ordered to stand and watch the nuclear bomb tests out in the Pacific, about how wrong it was being ordered to do so and not being able to do anything about it.

Well, yes, I can see where he is coming from, however, thinking back to when I was in my late teens early twenty’s, I would have jumped at the chance to watch the tests. It was something new and powerful, and of course, the soldiers and officers too I expected were unware of the dangers involved. But when we look back at anything in history, we must be careful not to apply today’s values and morals to the events of the past. That doesn’t help anyone at all.

Not sure if I mentioned this before but last year when I bought my Nikon D5200, I also bought a 50mm f1.4 D lens. In theory it seemed like a great buy at £90. However, I made a mistake in buying it. The lenses with a ‘D’ straight after like this one, will not work on a FX sensor camera. I say won’t work but actually it will if I set it on f22, which defeats the purpose of a fast f1.4 lens. So I am looking at trying to find some advice as to how overcome that. So far I haven’t found any, but I’ll keep looking anyway.

Jaronland is still land of missing bits n bobs. The latest items to go missing is the A-Z maps of London I have around here somewhere. I do have the small central London map that I bought last time I was down there. The reason I was looking for one was that I sat watching a programme about Camden. I like the area and it’s been sometime since I last went there, so I wanted to look for parking in and around the area, and of course I haven’t found the maps so I can look. I will look on Google Earth later though and see what I can find on there. I shall still have to look for maps though, they’re easier to carry than me ‘puter.

Today’s photo is from my day down there not so long ago … 

Three folks having a rest while a fourth checks his phone in St James’ Park.

Today’s funny …

A drug dealer, attempting to sell some drugs, sent these text messages to a potential buyer: "Roxy twenties fifteen" and "Hey buddy just wonderin if you needed any fortys." Those terms are street slang for oxycodone and other prescription drugs.
The recipient was definitely interested. She was a deputy prosecutor. They arrested the guy. He was charged with dealing in a controlled substance, possession of a controlled substance and public intoxication.

No comments:

Post a Comment