Tuesday 16 June 2015

Fracking common sense?



16 June

So then, we have just arrived back home from our weekly shopping trip, but on the way home we called into the Anker for a diet coke each. There’s nothing changed in their apart from Charlie and Sam taking all the real ale clips with them when they left. From the short time in there we noticed a number of new customers. That’s to be expected of course but there’s no reason why we won’t go back at some time. Actually, there is a reason, £5.70 for two pints of diet coke is a tad high. The new guys are going to be tied in their prices just as Charlie was.

According to the news last evening, fracking is due to be given the go ahead in Lancashire. No matter what your views are the fracking issue, the news seemed a bit odd to me and I would think I’m not the only one puzzled by it if it is given the go head. My first thought was where fracking sits in relation to the G(whatever number it is) and their pledge/promise or whatever, about stopping the use of fossil fuel. I have the idea that the year 2050 was mentioned. That would mean that the fracking companies have 35 years of operating before they have to stop production. It will be interesting to see if they do; but I doubt I shall be around to see it, whatever happens.

Magna Carta is in the news again. Dr David Starky was interviewed about important a document it is. He made a comment that politics is vital to everyone, because without it, civil war will result. Oh yes? Well, it didn’t do much to prevent the War of the Roses or the Cromwell led English Civil War did it. Nor did it prevent Wales and Scotland fighting for their freedom did it. Now of course we have the Human Rights Act, that much miss-used Act that has failed to keep Britain safe for ages now.

In general I am in favour of such an Act, but it needs to be flexible enough to allow the authorities to not to bound by it at times when it is used against the spirit of it. Like the immigrants who have commit crimes and can’t be deported because they claimed the right to a family life. But surely, if people commit such crimes that warrant deportation after serving their sentence, then they must lose the rights they had by default. Oh dear, can you hear all the woolly-headed liberals screaming and shouting? I can!

This morning I noticed a book on the shelf beside me that I hadn’t seen before, Midnight Fire: Rise of the Dark Angel by Melody Anne. It’s one Jan bought so long ago that she had forgotten about it. The writer has even penned a small thank you inside for her. It looks like another CreateSpace self-published work, like mine are, but has found a much better cover for hers than I did for mine. I shall be looking forward to reading it later when Jan has finished it.

So now for today’s photo … 

Brum wouldn’t be same without a bit Bully.

And today’s funny …
When I was a young minister, a funeral director asked me to hold a grave side service for a homeless man with no family or friends. The funeral was to be at a cemetery way out in the country. This was a new cemetery and this man was the first to be laid to rest there.
I was not familiar with the area and became lost. Being a typical man, of course, I did not ask for directions. I finally found the cemetery about an hour late. The back hoe was there and the crew was eating their lunch. The hearse was nowhere to be seen.
I apologized to the workers for being late. As I looked into the open grave, I saw the vault lid already in place. I told the workers I would not keep them long, but that this was the proper thing to do. The workers, still eating their lunch, gathered around the opening.
I was young and enthusiastic and poured out my heart and soul as I preached. The workers joined in with, "Praise the Lord," "Amen," and "Glory!" I got so into the service that I preached and preached and preached, from Genesis to The Revelation.
When the service was over, I said a prayer and walked to my car. As I opened the door, I heard one of the workers say, "I never saw anything like that before and I've been putting in septic systems for twenty years.       

2 comments:

  1. Blimey. £5.70 for two drinks. A lot cheaper to buy the bottles at the supermarket. Mind you, that doesn't buy the atmosphere, does it?
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still cheaper than London Joy.

    ReplyDelete