Thursday 11 June 2015

Lost and found ... again



11 June

Apologies for missing yesterday; I had every intention of writing the blog yesterday no matter how late it would be. However, by the time we got in from town it really was far too late to start, so I’m afraid it didn’t get done.

The other day there was an item on Facebook about writers using fountain pens. As it happens, when we were sorting out the house after Dave died we found a nice three piece Sheaffer set and I started using it, well, the ball point at least. About two years ago I found the set again and bought some ink and started using the fountain pen. Then, being the clever little sod I like to think I am, I put the ink bottle away ‘safely,’ because I could see it getting knocked over or staining the carpet. Ha ha ha … I couldn’t find it when I looked for it after reading that Facebook thing. Yes, I know, it happens all too often here in Jaronland.

Just before we went out yesterday, Jan looked into a draw for something and pulled out the bottle of ink. I had already looked through that draw twice already, so why didn’t I see it then? Simple, I was looking for the blue and white box, not a bottle. Oh dear … … …

Why does this little story seem important to me? Well, I am still finding it hard to sit and write. That little bit of Facebook gave me the idea, yet again, to hand write the stories before I type them up. Now there’s thought; why do ‘type it up’ or ‘phone someone up’ or look something up’? Why don’t we type something ‘down’ instead? I mean, we do ‘get things written down’ on paper or in writing don’t we? But getting back to the writing then …

I have also been sorting out the number of notebooks I have about the place and found three with the same shade of green on the covers. I have put them on top of the books along the top of my ‘puter desk and I shall begin to use them first to get Anastasia worked up. Let’s see how I get on with that.

We were disappointed, again, in how much smaller the Wednesday market has got. The Saturday market is also getting smaller. It all seems to tie in with slow death of Dorktown as the local trading centre. Yesterday I also noticed Greggs bakery was closed. Why that one has gone I don’t know or understand. There always seemed to be a large queue of people waiting to served in there, no matter what day it was. But when I think about it, they do have another outlet in town over by the bus station. Again, it’s very popular but it’s a lot smaller than the one that closed so I shall be surprised if it can manage to handle any increase with customers from the closed one.

When we are out and about and need something to eat, I always look at the sandwiches on offer in various outlets. I’m pretty easy to please on the choice but I mostly go for egg mayo butties. Jan however, is not so easy to please in that she can’t stand mayo or salad cream. A quick look at the ingredients and you will find that they all have mayo in them, including chees butty. It makes no sense to me as to why they have to put mayo in a cheese butty. Crazy …

And this vein then … 

My ham butty lunch in a pub in Coventry one time.

Today’s funny is another groaner …

 Q: "What's the difference between a guitar and a fish?" A: "You can't tuna fish."

No comments:

Post a Comment